Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sniffing out the air leak on #5

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sniffing out the air leak on #5

I have Replaced all 12 of the intake manifold to head gaskets and the boot that joins to two halves togeather. I still had a poor idle and found spraying brake cleaner on the manifold stopped the problem for a second. It is #5 that is giving me the trouble and I'm thinking it may be the seal around the injector. Is this a likely suspect? I can turn the injector at will with very little resistance. It did once make a rubber squeek sound when turning it. The rest seem to be much more locked into place.

She has an '88 3.2L as seen in her avatar.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Anyone?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:48 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you should be able to turn the injector if the seals are good and tight (like new ones). If you have to pull the fuel rail(s), I'd replace each side as a set. Question is....is it only #5 that rotates? If so I would replllace the three on that side and see what it fixes.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

thanks Spider, I was thinking the same thing. I'm also thinking I may still have problems elsewhere too, but will start with the fuel rails on both sides. Any other ideas where I may have leaks?

could the Idle speed control valve be in need of a check. I may do this first. If that little bugger isn't mooving freely it could cause the same problem.....
Old 05-01-2008, 05:26 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

The ICV could be clogged and sluggish as you say. I use lasquer thinner to clean them and then put a little light oil oil in it and slosh it around and drain the residue. Just make sure all the clamps are securing rubber boots properly. I had one clamp that felt like it was holding, but when I put extra torque on it, it would break loose. Make sure all your injector seals are good and also that the injectors are flowing correctly. I had a squirrely idle and when I had the injectors checked, 2 were operating correctly, 2 had erratic spray patters, and 2 were clogged and only dripping gas (no spray pattern). Fixed all that and it (my 88 Carrera) runs like a top and idles great.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, douglas, I've been over at Pelican... Just kidding! Actually, I registered, did all the follow up stuff, and now it won't let me in - go figure!

Only #5??? Are you sure that your new manifold spacer wasn't cracked? I think that I vaguely remember getting a bad new one from time-to-time...
Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug, I have also found, that if the o-rings are too loose, a fuel leak is usually there too. I don't think, it is your injector o-rings not sealing and creating a vacuum leak. There is a lot more fuel rail and injector pressure than the vacuum would be able to overcome.
O-rings can go bad, get brittle and crack, or dry up enough so they can be easily turned in place, but most time that I have seen a problem such as these, it was found secondary, to locating a fuel leak. But... the fuel leak, was actually secondary to the crapped out o-ring(s), then the fuel leak started. Sort of the chicken and the egg bit. Good luck!! Tony.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I just picked up a new V.O.A. multi-meter and some lacquer thinner. After further reading I'm going after the idle switch and ICV.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:21 PM
scarceller
Racer

Testing the ICV see here

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=360766
Old 05-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Thanks guys, I got the ICV off the car, got it cleaned up and moving again and reinstalled. Then once I got it fired back up the phone rang and It was the Police Officer I have been working with for the last week reguarding something that happend to my 15 year old girl. Some of you know, and I'll tell more as time goes on. Lets just say that an 18 year old raped two 15 year old girls in the span of four days and charges are being filed as we speak. Sorry guys, My kid is OK. I've been crying for 8 days.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

Glad to hear your Love is okay. Everything else pales in comparison. If you need anything, let me know.

-matt
Old 05-02-2008, 06:15 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, Doug....terrible. I hope all works out for you and the kid.

Our best,
Old 05-02-2008, 10:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

Doug you have a stregnth I certainly do not. I would not be getting any police involved ... i would sort it on my own , get my afairs in order and do my time.
As far as the car goes, definitely an air leak i would say , now my SC is different but i can wiggle my injectors and it still idels smooth ...... well...... did....... but sounds like a simple place to go and fairly inexpensive.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:08 AM
scarceller
Racer

Doug, if you have an air leak anywhere, including around the injector then spraying starter fluid at that area should have an effect on idle. Also, be sure to jumber B&C pins to bypass the ICV function so that the ICV does not try to fix the idle as you spray the fluid.

In my experience even the smallest of air leaks are easily found with starter fluid.

Quick Reply: Sniffing out the air leak on #5