Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Work in Progress -- Update / More Questions (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 07:07 AM
Michael H
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Work in Progress -- Update / More Questions (Long)

First of all, thanks to everyone who answered my questions on the top-end rebuild for my 87 Carrera

I visited the shop over the weekend and saw first hand why the engine was consuming so much oil -- 3 worn oil control rings and quite a lot of carbon buildup on the three pistons -- nothing like just in time engine work!

The engine will be rebuild this week with Euro pistons/cylinders and 964 cams will be substituted to provide a bit more torque. A new clutch will be installed as the old one was completely shot after 95,000 miles A turbo tie rod upgrade, some work on the cat :-), new front shocks and lowering to Euro spec will complete the package.

With any luck I'll get the car back this weekend ... no need to say what I'll be up to.

I do have a couple more questions for those that have been through this before:

1) My mechanic suggests reusing the original valve springs as they are in good shape. Is this a good idea? His rationale is that they are probably even better than currently manufactured stock replacements. My question is should I replace with a more high performance spring (eibach) at a cost in Europe of approx. $500?

2) He also recommended a mass air flow system with this set-up (approx. $1500). I initially passed on this but wonder if it makes sense to do now that all the other mods are agreed? He will reprogram the chip after all work is done ... any thoughts?

Apologies for the length of the post and thanks in advance for your feedback.

Quick Reply: Work in Progress -- Update / More Questions (Long)