REAR SUSPENSION UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 07:01 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post REAR SUSPENSION UPGRADE

911 (EARLY MODEL)

I am in the process of upgrading the rear supension for pure racing purposes. I notice that most bushing upgrades seem to be with solid (plastic) bushes. This concerns me because of the arc the swing arm takes and in my opinion it is inevitable that some binding takes places.

Being a purist I would want to go the route of spherical bearings but do not have enough background to make an informed decision. Can anyone help with details on how to go the spherical bearing way especially in replacing the standard rubber bushes on the trailing arm.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:10 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Flat Top:
<strong>911 (EARLY MODEL)

I am in the process of upgrading the rear supension for pure racing purposes. I notice that most bushing upgrades seem to be with solid (plastic) bushes. This concerns me because of the arc the swing arm takes and in my opinion it is inevitable that some binding takes places.

Being a purist I would want to go the route of spherical bearings but do not have enough background to make an informed decision. Can anyone help with details on how to go the spherical bearing way especially in replacing the standard rubber bushes on the trailing arm.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Johan:

One cannot install any type of plastic bushings at the pivot of the trailing arms due to geometric changes that cause binding. One must either retain the rubber ones or install spherical bearings.
This SOP on any race car.

There are cartridges available for this very purpose.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:08 AM
Flat Top
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Steve.

Are two spherical bearings placed per side to replace the two rubbers or do you use one sperical bearing per side. If one is used how and where is it installed?
Old 10-08-2002, 05:09 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Flat Top:
<strong>Thanks Steve.

Are two spherical bearings placed per side to replace the two rubbers or do you use one sperical bearing per side. If one is used how and where is it installed?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Johan:

These are made and supplied as a cartridge that replaces the rubber bushings. One presses out the rubber and inserts the spherical bearing catridge.

One per side is needed and its setup and made to lock in place.

Quick Reply: REAR SUSPENSION UPGRADE