Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 03:22 PM
kenrinc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sparkplugs for early cars

Case: 1968 911L, Weber 40IDAs

The owner's manual lists Bosch W250P21 and WG265T2SP

Not sure what these translate to. Seems some of the Bosch plugs for the early cars and damn expensive: $18ea!! What up wit dat? I get mixed results when looking them.

Ken-
Old 12-07-2002, 03:39 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by kenrinc:
<strong>Case: 1968 911L, Weber 40IDAs

The owner's manual lists Bosch W250P21 and WG265T2SP

Not sure what these translate to. Seems some of the Bosch plugs for the early cars and damn expensive: $18ea!! What up wit dat? I get mixed results when looking them.

Ken-</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Ken:

Indeed, these are confusing especially when those are obsolete numbers and the latter is discontinued.

The W250P21 is the old-style platinum plug that is very spendy. These are excellent plugs if you can afford them and the new number is W5DPO. These are FAR superior to the new platinum plugs which, IMHO are horrible.

You can also use a Bosch W5DS (silver) or W5DC.

Some folks have luck with NGK's using the BP-7ES or BP-6ES depending on how you drive and how well tuned your carbs are. The 7's are 1 step colder.

Hope this helps,
Old 12-07-2002, 08:25 PM
jrb964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ken - I ran NGK-7ES, changed them faithfully every 6K miles and they worked fine.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:03 PM
kenrinc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve

Yes this did help, thank you! To make things even more confusing when using a 68' 911L as your baseline and ordering plugs from Performance Products the only plug you can select is the Bosch W3DP2 at $18.95 ea. PP is always high on most things but it's weird how I get a different answer from everywhere. Even the Bosch site doesn't help.

I think I'm going to go with the W5DCs to start and then eventually move up to the W5DPOs and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again!

Ken

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<strong>

Hi Ken:

Indeed, these are confusing especially when those are obsolete numbers and the latter is discontinued.

The W250P21 is the old-style platinum plug that is very spendy. These are excellent plugs if you can afford them and the new number is W5DPO. These are FAR superior to the new platinum plugs which, IMHO are horrible.

You can also use a Bosch W5DS (silver) or W5DC.

Some folks have luck with NGK's using the BP-7ES or BP-6ES depending on how you drive and how well tuned your carbs are. The 7's are 1 step colder.

Hope this helps,</strong><hr></blockquote>

Quick Reply: Sparkplugs for early cars