Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone recognize this chip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008 | 04:27 PM
TargaCoupe
8th Gear

Default Anyone recognize this chip?

I recently purchased a Steve Wong chip and when I was installing it I found out that there is already an aftermarket chip installed. There is no distinguishing markings so I was wondering if anyone can tell me who's chip design it is.

Thanks,
Dave
86 911 Carrera
Old 04-15-2008 | 06:37 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Gonna go out on a limb here & say, "NEC", maybe?

Seriously though, not sure. I'll pull the seat & look at the Weltmeister chip I have in my '84 to check though.
Old 04-15-2008 | 06:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I did some further research on this thought Fred had that it was an NEC and yes, NEC makes a D2732D and it is in stock in several locations. It can be purchased in bulk or in small lots. It can be refurbished or found new. Lots of places in the UK have it in stock....what else, what else.

I'll bet that you could send it to Steve Wong for a reading.....He could probebly tell you. It wouldn't be a MaxHPkit chip and I really dobt it's the Welt....
Old 04-15-2008 | 07:18 PM
TargaCoupe
8th Gear

I did notice a slight difference after installing the Steve Wong chip so it wasn't a total waste. The car idles smoother and I did have to adjust the idle back down to 880 RPM like the instructions suggested I might.

I just thought it was odd that there was no company logo on the chip. Just the blue sticker indicating which model it was made for.
Old 04-15-2008 | 08:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

It's not the chip that is special or even the equipment to burn it, that stuff is easy to get. It's the knowledge of the variables that are controled by the chip that is the "value" behind the chip.

remember that alot of other things can effect the performance of the engine. the MAF, O2 sensor, spark plugs, valve adjustment, cruise control cable, octane, distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, can all have a huge impact on the car. adding a chip to equipment that is not performing at its best is really counter productive. (ask me, I know)
Old 04-15-2008 | 11:54 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"It's the knowledge of the variables that are controled by the chip that is the "value" behind the chip."

Knowledge? Please! So the "tuners" would have you believe, as many are copies
of other chips or have very minor changes over the Bosch/Porsche EOM part.
They've been available for about 20 years now. Hardly anything new, just new
resellers. Check eBay from time to time, i.e. some for as little as $25 - $50.
Most feel the more you pay the better, hardly the case. They're all basically
the same!
Old 04-16-2008 | 12:19 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Loren, why do I feal violated when I read your posts. I feal dirty and used. I have tried so hard to understand you. You single handedly kept me from joining Pelican with all the Steve Wong bashing. I have given your name as a referal several times on the board and as a PM response. You have gotten business 'cause of me and my friends here listening thru my humor to the advice I sometimes give. I may actually be on the same side of the argument as you now that time has past and my car has gone from wet toad to fire breathing dragon. I don't think I nead the chip any more. But, when you employ the same venom on me that you do on Steve Wong, I tend to want to keep my chip right where it is. Hopefully I'm over reacting and your "Knowledge? Please!" was taken wrong and it is your way of saying I love you...
Old 04-16-2008 | 08:46 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
...or have very minor changes over the Bosch/Porsche EOM part.
They've been available for about 20 years now. Hardly anything new, just new
resellers. Check eBay from time to time, i.e. some for as little as $25 - $50.
Most feel the more you pay the better, hardly the case. They're all basically
the same!
So what exactly did Porsche do in '87 to boost the hp by 10 (over the 84-86 chips) if they are "all basically the same", and why have you been warning about advancing the timing too much all theses years? In "your" world can you have it both ways? Loren, please answer this question, in your opinion, "Can the timing be "safely" advanced a few degrees if one chooses to run a higher octane gasoline (i.e. 93)?" Please explain you answer to us dummies as to what Porsche did in '87, and the impact higher octanes have upon "safely" advancing the timing in order to achieve a bit more performance. For one who has "bragged" about "programming" these chips (and in my world, changing bit maps for the data inputs is hardly considered to be "programming in machine language"), you sure have me confused. From what I gather, folks who've met you in the "real world" don't even recognize your online persona...you're a smart guy, why do you come across as illogical and angry anytime a chip thread appears? All chips are NOT "basically the same", and your advice to pick up "any old chip on EBAY for $25" is simply TERRIBLE advice to be giving out to those who might not be as informed as most of us are. BTW, I do thank you for appearing here on Rennlist back in '03 (and later on Pelican)...I'm much more informed about chips than I used to be, but it REALLY gets tiresome after a while.

Keith
'88 CE coupe

ps: Dave, you may want to contact Steve Wong if you really want to know what the mappings are for that chip...I'm pretty sure he'd be glad to "read" it for you. IMO, I'd ditch an "unknown chip" in a heartbeat...the risk of predetonation IS a fact for "some" chips, and that "can" lead to di$a$ter.

Last edited by KC911; 04-16-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2008 | 11:12 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

[QUOTE=KC911;5318063] ...but it REALLY gets tiresome after a while. /QUOTE]

Which is exactly why he's been banned from Pelican.
Old 04-16-2008 | 11:14 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

not reading the pelican 911 tech is like eating wheaties without milk.
And I wouldn't quit eating wheaties just because they put Marry Lou Retton on the box.
Old 04-16-2008 | 11:47 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Dude I just threw up a little in my mouth with the image of eating Mary Lou's Wheaties...

Just wrong man.
Old 04-16-2008 | 12:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Ya, but in the 80's, that was some hot chick.

Ew, that wasn't a (EDITED AREA OF TEXT) referance was it? Fred? Fred?

(Edited for some of our younger viewers)

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 04-16-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: over the top
Old 04-16-2008 | 01:14 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

it's official, I don't want to be your friend if you think mary lou is hot
Old 04-16-2008 | 01:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I was 17, she was flexible, think man think.

besides, she'd fit in your car.
Old 04-16-2008 | 01:32 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

"I was 17, she was flexible"

hahahahahahaah

Quick Reply: Anyone recognize this chip?