Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'89 911 running problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:20 PM
vpb911
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 911 running problem

Hi-I'm new to the world of 911-bought an '89 coupe a year ago and dealing with a strange problem. Car runs great, but every now and then it just shuts down...like someone just turned off the key. It usually "catches" before I roll to a complete stop but I've come to a complete stop on the side of the road several times. Usually I just sit there a while and it will start up and drive ok again but I've been towed twice. I replaced the fuel pump relay under the seat to no avail.
Also- good 911 mechanics near NY Hudson Valley area??
Old 04-13-2008, 03:35 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

My car is kind of doing the same thing. I tried to start it and it caught for a few seconds (but running very rough) and then quit. after about 10 times trying to get it started, I had it towed to the mechanic. He tried to start it and it fried right up. Then, just by jiggling the key in the ignition, he was able to stop the engine. We think it is the electrical part of the ignition switch which is a $60.00 part at Pelican parts. The current is not flowing through it properly. I will know tomorrow when I get the part installed if that was the problem.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:19 PM
vpb911
3rd Gear

Default 911 running problems

Thanks...let me know what happens. Our problems sound a little different, though. My car will run beautifully for days, then quit for a few seconds while driving, only to fire up again and continue driving perfectly. When it runs, it doesn't run rough at all......
Old 04-13-2008, 05:49 PM
981/911
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Easy first check are your battery post and cables tight?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:57 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vpb911
Thanks...let me know what happens. Our problems sound a little different, though. My car will run beautifully for days, then quit for a few seconds while driving, only to fire up again and continue driving perfectly. When it runs, it doesn't run rough at all......
I don't think our problems are that different. My car ran perfectly all morning. Then I went to use it after lunch and I had my problems starting it, Then it was towed to the mechanic and he started it right away. I will let you know what happens.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:06 AM
serpico
6th Gear

Any updates on this? I think I ran into the same issue with mine and because of life it's been in storage for years. I met someone who has experience working on 911's and other high end cars through my wife. I'm hoping he can figure it out. I just want to get mine running and take it out on Sundays to keep it running. Then slowly restore the exterior & interior. I've had my '76 since 1990 and have no plans to sell it. Can't wait to get it running.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:47 PM
vpb911
3rd Gear

Default Intermittent shut off problem

OK- I think I got the fix to my intermittent shut off problem on my '89 911. Dan Jacobs Porsche in CT suggested I change the temperature sensor on the #3 cylinder as the original design is a faulty single wire design and will go bad over time causing intermittent engine shut downs. I replaced the sensor with an upgraded part (from Pelican) and all seems to be OK so far. Its a fairly simple fix!

Quick Reply: '89 911 running problem