Targa stiffening

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Targa stiffening

Soon after I bought my Targa I bought and installed those Targa stiffening bars, that brace between the upper shoulder belt mount and lower belt mount. I didn't notice any difference in structural rigidity, honestly. I noticed an improvement after installing a strut brace and also with solid motor mounts vs. stock (I first did this - well, RS mounts and not solid - on my 993 and was very surprised to find this, as the improvement touted was for shifting and not for rigidity).

I recently installed the Stable Energies harness mount, which mounts between the upper shoulder belt mounts, and am still using the Targa stiffening bars, and have noticed a significant improvement. I'm not sure if it's just the bar tying the two sides together, or if it's really the combination of that and the Targa bars but I would recommend this for any Targa owners looking to stiffen up their cars, and who don't need the rear seats for passengers, of course.

I am not affiliated w/ SE, etc. etc. I think the BK harness bar also has the side braces as part of the assembly though it lists for $415, and I'd already had the Targa bars. Anyway, YMMV but worked for me.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

Interesting Troy

I put the front strut bar in only. I did not want to do any more as I don't track the car and let's face it .. may be easier to just get a coupe if you are a trackie. Thanks for the info though .. food fro thought when I am done with the back seats
Old 04-13-2008, 03:28 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. I've wondered about those targa braces. I have a strut tower brace in mine and like it.

Has anyone else heard that a harness is dangerous without a cage because the top of your helmet becomes the highest point if the windshield frame caves on a rollover.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:42 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't your head the highest point even w/o harnesses?
Old 04-13-2008, 04:42 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Can't lean into the passenger seat with a harness.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I think the general consensus is that the Targa "stiffening" bars are pretty much useless.

As to tracking Targas, I've seen Targas driven by good drivers that could run circles around most cars on the track with them. I doubt any of the mere mortals on this forum could gain much time/speed in a Coupe vs a Targa, all other aspects being equal. Spend your money on track time, then get the goodies.

Also, I don't know what seats you have, but PCA has outlawed harnesses with stock seats. That is to say, if you have harnesses, you have to go to aftermarket seats with belt cutouts.

There indeed is an opinion held by many that harnesses should only be used with a rollbar or a cage due to the occupant's head being the high point in a rollover without a bar or cage.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Good advice ed .. personally i think if you flip a targa at speed and the windshile frame collapses. it is a crap shoot on survivability regardless.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:21 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Has anybody seen a carbon fiber targa insert that could increase safety and/or rigidity? I've seen fiberglass, but would like to find carbon fiber.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:03 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I sincerely doubt a targa top in fiberglass or carbon fiber would add rigidity - usually they pop off as the frame flexes in the event of a crash.

As Ed says - for DE/Autocross/ etc - I think 98.9% of the posters would have a hard time noticing the difference between a coupe and a targa/cabriolet. Spend the money on track time/instruction.

PCA outlawed harnesses with stock seats because of the propensity of the belts to slid off your shoulders - although I wish they would have just mandated a sternam strap instead.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

is it a targa roof or and ejection capsule pop off ...

Quick Reply: Targa stiffening