Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Central Locking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Antony.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central Locking Problem

I've done a few searches but haven't come up with anything definitive.

My 86 has developed a problem where the passenger side lock fails to respond to the driver's door key, the central locking button and the passenger side key. The passenger side key will still unlock the driver's side door as will the central locking button.

I've checked the fuse box and don't see anything blown. At the moment I only have the haynes manual (bentley will be ordered soon) and I've glanced at the wiring diagrams but before I start pulling panels and getting in there with a DVM I'm just wondering if this a common problem with a known fix?
Old 04-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

it's in the door. I have the exact same issue. I can unlock both sides of the car with the key of the passenger side but not the drivers. It started about 6 months ago. doesn't bother me 'cause I don't lock the car 'cause it's a cab and the spare key is in the center console. I'm sure it's just a loose wire. If not Performance has a kit.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:46 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm trying to understand the problem, but it's not clear. The ignition key should open either door or you have a lock problem. The following is what happened to my 88 Carrera. I had a problem with my right door not locking when I used the key in either door. The driver's side would lock, but not the passenger side. What I found was the mechanism (electically operated) in the right door needed to be adjusted. If it gets out of adjustment, it will not lock. I removed the door panel and experimented with lengthening the travel of the rod and shortening it until I got it all to work properly. I don't remember which way I adjusted it and yours may/may not have the same problem. That minor adjustment worked for me.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Antony.
Instructor

Thanks guys, that sounds like my problem. I'll pull the panel and take a look.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Antony.
Instructor

I just pulled the panel, the little plastic connector at the end of the actuator rod has cracked so it doesn't grip the door latch ball very well. I attempted to glue this one back together with some gorilla glue but it doesn't hold the ball well enough to stay on after a lock/unlock cycle so I'll order a new actuator arm from pelican.

Quick Reply: Central Locking Problem