What year mufflers for SSIs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What year mufflers for SSIs?

I recently installed SSIs and had bought an early stock muffler which is working fine but I'm looking around for something louder. I don't recall what year muffler I got, '73 I think. I read that SSIs are like the '74 heat exchanger setup, so I'm wondering whether when I am looking for compatible mufflers I should stick with '74 or '74 and earlier? I did a search. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TroyN
... when I am looking for compatible mufflers I should stick with '74 or '74 and earlier?
Yes, '74 and earlier. But if you just want more sound and a little better breathing, you don't need to get another muffler, you can convert yours to a sport muffler. It was a popular mod back in the day that was published in "Up-fixin Der Porsche."

I have also done this mod and retained the single-outlet instead of adding the dual-outlets. Just cut open the top skin between the bulkheads, torch the openings in the baffles, and completely remove the "slotted pipe section", then weld the skin back on. Cost me $80 at a muffler shop a few years ago.

TT
Old 04-05-2008, 12:13 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, this is great! I'm going to show this to my shop.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you want is an 2 in , 1 out... or 2 in or 2 out... sport muffler... depending on how loud will determine whether its a 1 out or a 2 out... I got a Dansk Sport 2 in and 1 out and its more than twice as loud as stock. It was about $675 at Vertex for the polished stainless version... the 2 in 2 out will be louder. too loud for me since my car is 100% street. There are other brands.. M&K, Monty, B&B, etc. I liked the Dansk because it looks stock.. and I wanted to keep a stock look while gaining the power and sound improvement. Its been great... all comes down to preference...
Old 04-05-2008, 12:28 PM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Dansk Sport Muffler , looks great and sounds stock,but louder. I took off a Bursch which was even louder and raspier, not like a 911 motor.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:29 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best exaust set up and value is to just weld another exit pipe on the other end of your existing pre 75 muffler, just like the stock exit. Order two new factory tips to finish it off.

On you muffler there should not be any packing when the whole is made. If there is remove it. This is an inexpensive and proven method that adds HP and is the best HP for the dollar on a Porsche. It will make more noise but not be crazy loud like the the sport muffler mod above.

This mod requires modifing the rear valance. If you do not want to do this, try the above mod or order a single pipe sport muffler.

My $.02

Quick Reply: What year mufflers for SSIs?