Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air condition clutch doesnt engage

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:47 AM
84turbolook
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air condition clutch doesnt engage

The clutch doesnt engage when i turn on the AC. any common thing i should check first before i start checking everything?

and where is this relay on the car? ebay 250112045577

Last edited by 84turbolook; 04-01-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing I would check is that the A/C electric clutch is getting power. Use a test light. Should have power when A/C, fan & the ignition are turned on.

Second, the system may have a low pressure switch fitted. Stops the clutch from working when there isn't enough gas. ie got a leak somewhere.

If you know where the low pressure switch is, you can bypass the switch and then check if the clutch is getting power. Engine off. you don't want to run the comp with no or little gas. If the clutch then gets power then low gas is your problem.

hope this helps.

P.S. I don't have A/C so I don't know where that relay is, sorry.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:58 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do have a low pressure safety switch, they are mounted at or on the receiver dryer most times. If so, you can unplug the connector and make a jumper wire and just connect the two wires in the connector together, and with the A/C turned on, engine lid open(so you can hear the clutch actuate) and the ignition switch in the "run" position, you should hear the clutch engage. If you don't you will need to find if it has an A/C relay, and see if it is working. Another way to check the clutch, is to look at the wire that enters the clutch on the compressor, make sure it is still connected and has not come loose. If it is connected, you can un-plug it, and supply12v+ to the wire end that leads into the clutch, and it should engage when you supply the power directly, you do not need to worry about having anything else on or connected or disconnected to do this test, because you are taking the compressor out of the electrical "loop" when you disconnect the clutch wire and supply the 12v+ to it. If it does not engage by doing the test this way, the clutch is a dud. I have found that most of the time it is actually one of the relays, or pressure switches, or even the A/C controls could be bad. The clutch is just a small electro-magnet. It has been a long time since any car maker has used a mechanical A/C clutch. Good luck!! Tony.

Quick Reply: Air condition clutch doesnt engage