Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My reflector blackout project

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:59 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My reflector blackout project

I haev been playing aroudn with ideas about the area occupied by my rear reflector. I took it off over the winter adn tried out some R type mesh, but it was not heavy enough for the job, visually. So, I got ahold of reflector in not so good shape, but good enough to try this out on and away I went. First I used a very light media blast ot remove all the old finish off the backside. And then it sat for a few months, whlie I experimented with getting a stock reflector finish back. More on another time.

Tonight, I finally decided to work on this project again. I spent about 30-45 minutes carefully tyaping the PORSCHE letter outlines onthe back side of the reflector. Then I masked off everything else. One of the pics below shows the side you see with the tape on the back and it gives a little idea of where I am going with this. Next came 5-6 VERY light coats of Krylon silver. You do not want ANY paint running off the letters as the taping is not as sealed as possible due to its rough surface. After that came 5-6 very light coats of wally world el cheapo flat white... This is where it will stay until tomorrow. I want the paint to be very dry when I start removing tape.

Last edited by v8_ranch; 02-19-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:17 AM
nyne11
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

back at is Shane.......check your email
Dave
Old 03-30-2008, 01:21 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Yep... I think it will turn out nice when done... I am encouraged tonigt anyway. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

That color you had on the pshop was too much of a copper. Needs to be Porsche Platinum, Gold, or somewhere inbetween. Just not sure if it will work. The PORSCHE decal almost looked liek a ghost image... kind of cool.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:22 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Dave, I think I need to ditch the rock guards as well...

Quick Reply: My reflector blackout project