Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Blown clutch , or?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Mass911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown clutch , or?

Suddenly, while driving along, (89 911 with G50 trans) I could no longer engage my clutch. The pedal felt no different same feel and pressure. No snaps clunks or other audible sounds. She just wouldn't engage.
After getting the car home, and with the engine off, pushing the stick through it's shifter points felt as it always has. No hesitation or binding. The clutch pedal feels exactly the same, as well.

Is the clutch gone, as I suspect, or could it be related to something external to the clutch?
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated before I yank the hole thing out!
Old 03-24-2008, 02:13 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

I would check out your slave cylinder and associated hydraulics.

Clutches don't normally just go, they start to slip first, at least that is what how I understand it to work.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:23 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Except the rubber centered clutch on the G-50 - most of the time you hear them pop - then give - any rubber pieces coming our of the bell housing?

It's either that - or the clutch fork binds in the transmission ears (bearing clogs up with clutch dust) and with the hydraulic clutch action - you just rip off the transmission ears off the housing -

I hope it's the first option.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Marty916
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could very well be hydraulics related prior to the clutch itself. Any obvious fluid leaks at the master cylinder, slave cylinder or lines? Have someone push in the clutch pedal while watching the mechanical function at the bell housing. If everything moves correctly externally, it may be time to look at the clutch/throw out bearing mechanism internally but this will give you a very rough idea of where to start looking first. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Is your clutch original? Is it the rubber-center or spring-center disc? If you have an old rubber-centered disc, chances are, your disc came apart and the rubber pieces lodged themselves between the pressure plate and the disc, forcing the clutch to not let go of your gears.

The fact that your gear and pedal feel the same indicates that it sounds like the disc itself. But I would try to look into this further before pulling the engine out.

Quick Reply: Blown clutch , or?