Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First Drive of the Season

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:08 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Drive of the Season

I think absence truly makes the heart grow fonder, though I can't say if it compensates the months of deprivation during our Canadian winters.

Still, it was always a thrill to get my bike out of the shed in spring time and get re-acquainted anew with the joy that, by last fall had long become something taken for granted.

I've been itching to take her out for some intimate re-acquainting with a yearning reminiscent of a Vulcan's 7th year sense of urgency. Today was the day. A brief trip. Really just a quickie of only an hour or so, but man, oh, man, this car is magical, intuitive, and the exhilaration of driving her, almost a transcendent experience. A longer time spent together, with fewer cars around, on a more curvaceous stretch of road would have made it truly so.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but we all know the choir always enjoys a sermon inspired directly from the Gospel according to St.Ferdinand!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:29 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

... started mine up and went through a quite legnthy preperation before firing it up and taking it out for the first time ...

unpluged battery tender ... updated the clock to daylight savings ....
Old 03-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It must be spring if the real avatar is back. Sorry Doc. but the real story is the avatar. Good job iceman, we missed it.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:43 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
... started mine up and went through a quite legnthy preperation before firing it up and taking it out for the first time ...

unpluged battery tender ... updated the clock to daylight savings ....
You're right, it must be spring, I too also went through a lengthy procedure to drive my car today. I had to clean all the bird **** off my car first.....it must be spring. Does white stuff ever stop falling from the sky in this country?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks guys ... yep things went great ... didn't grt to adventurous with ultra high performance tire at 0C. the roads were dry however and no salt. great run .
Old 03-22-2008, 11:43 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Witchdoctor,
Well done!

Ice,
Welcome back!
Old 03-23-2008, 03:11 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Lengthy preparation for starting?! My natural inclination to anxiety inhibits my ear for irony... but I think I heard it right, and needn't worry.

Good advice to go easy on the tires, Matt. Here too it's sunny but not too much above freezing.

Felt great to be "back in the saddle."
Old 03-23-2008, 12:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

likeI said .. I fixed the clock and off i went. no problems what soever. even the tires manitained correct pressure.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:14 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
likeI said .. I fixed the clock and off i went. no problems what soever. even the tires manitained correct pressure.
Fan belt managed to last through the winter as well?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy Easter Gentlemen !

I for one am very grateful that spring is coming !
Old 03-23-2008, 03:18 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

witchdoctor, iceman et al - how on earth do you manage to get through a winter without your 911? Mine stays outside come rain or shine and gets driven what-the-heck (as did my previous ones). I don't think I could cope knowing it's in the garage but not allowed to come out. That said, I bet the joy is all the greater when it does...
Old 03-23-2008, 05:54 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

the first thing that hits you is that familiar smell after that it is all giggles . Matt this is the longest I have gone without snapping one. Reminds me though I need to restock . I am sure the belts cower down when they see my coming hoping I'll pick the other guy to be sacrificed next. :-)
Old 03-23-2008, 06:47 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Kuse'

It'd sure be nice were our weather anywhere near conducive to year-round Porsching. Snow on the ground, gravel and salt laid down by the city, etc. I just can't bring myself to drive in winter.

It sure has been a long wait. I only had the car a couple months when I had to put it away, so winter really has been agony, since I was hardly even acquainted with this, my first Porsche, when it went into hibernation.

Sure is sweet to have it out. If I had any doubts about buying a hobby car, I think they're forgotten now.
Today it was out to Canmore for Easter brunch with my son. Out on the main road, smooth, wide, and winding. Back home on the secondary road, a little rough, narrow, and twisty. It was just wonderful.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:38 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Yeah some of us are lucky to have very nice driving weather year round...but like someone has stated before...you guys have the better roads.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:46 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Florida roads aren't so good? I can't believe it.

Or, maybe just the good ones all just go to Disney land.

Quick Reply: First Drive of the Season