Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carrera DME failure????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:15 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Speaking of BMX, who remembers Ashtabula?
I do, I have a Ashtabula cranks, stem & forks on my restored Dan Gurney Eagle, my 76 Scramblers have them as well

My first BMX
I remember seeing those in kit in the box at my local bike shop I would love to have one, and a buddy of mine does.

racerbvd, I have a pacemaker that keeps my heart out of A-fib and V-tac so no I don't ride I just fund and transport. I could have killed my brother when I found out he gave my circa '78 Mongoose W/tuffwheel II's to a drug rehab center. Bastard!
OK, you have a reason not to race, but can you still ride around the block with her?? I would kill your brother too
I just traded some Porsche stuff for an old PK Ripper to restore and they have a very sweet & ridable Retro Ripper out now.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 PM
equality72521
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember how cool it was to sit on a frame so "short". After the old Schwinn curved down tube bikes this was a huge difference. I thought my knees were gonna hit my chin.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

let the hijack begin....I got Gary Turner(GT Bicycles) to build her a one off Alliant when they were open a couple years ago. Remember Power Lite? I have a one off '07, yes '07, made exactly how I wanted it. They opened and shut down the shop almost in the same month. My kid is now factory Crupi in a way, so it's on the shelf. now we have hot pink Crupi's.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Note: To people who have bad things to say about LorenB, don't make rude comments about someone who gives a lot of valuable advice to this forum. Have any of you actually met him in person? He is a good guy and was watching out for my best interest why I asked him for help. Just because he is very opinionated that does not mean he is a jerk by any means. If someone came to me and tried to tell me that my PhD thesis was all wrong I'd snap right back at them, which is what I feel happens a lot in the Steve Wong Chip VS LorenB threads. .02 done. SPRING BREAK!!!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 AM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't know what the failure rate is. But I have made significant changes to my DME and I'm a EE by education, software eng. by trade. IMHO the boxes are very well built and should last 30+ years without issue.

However, they do have some possible failure points:
1. Already mentioned, weak or faulty solder joints. These are often the result of shock from bumping around under the seat. The box is bolted directly to the floor resulting in road bumps being felt by the box.

2. Any of the Darlington hi-current transistors that drive things like the Injectors and the ICV are always at risk of burning out. Ussually because of faulty external components like injector(s) (shorted) or ICV. This is why you should NEVER take a good DME and put it into a car that may have it's DME burned out! Always take the bad DME and put it in the good car for testing. If the problem car has an outside the DME issue (like shorted injector or harness) and you put the good DME in this problem car you just smoked the good box.

Just my thoughts on this.

Last edited by scarceller; 03-21-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:05 AM
equality72521
Racer

Originally Posted by Oshin11
Note: To people who have bad things to say about LorenB, don't make rude comments about someone who gives a lot of valuable advice to this forum. Have any of you actually met him in person? He is a good guy and was watching out for my best interest why I asked him for help. Just because he is very opinionated that does not mean he is a jerk by any means. If someone came to me and tried to tell me that my PhD thesis was all wrong I'd snap right back at them, which is what I feel happens a lot in the Steve Wong Chip VS LorenB threads. .02 done. SPRING BREAK!!!!!
Nobody said anything that wasn't true. The first poster even said he was a guru. The fact is he is VERY abrasive. It's not that he's opinionated, we all are, it's the way he presents his opinions that make him "not so well liked". There is no denying he is very knowledgable and is VERY good at what he does. If/when I need my CDI repaired it will certainly go to him but that doesn't change the fact that he is hard to tolerate sometimes.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:15 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My PO paid $1150.00 for a "New Computer" in 2002, 2 yrs before I bought the car. And $42 for a "New Comp. Relay" - presumably a DME relay.

Ian
Old 03-21-2008, 05:43 PM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a thread on Pelican where someone had a bad Darlington transistor that drives the ICV.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=346667

If I found this in a DME I would suspect and fully test the Idle Control Valve, these transistors are tough and don't usually just burn out. They ussually fail because the current draw exceeded the specs of the transistor. Could be the cause of a faulty ICV (possibly shorted).

The best person I know that would know what fails (often) in these DMEs would be Loren.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:11 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting. The 3rd item on the service receipt is "New Ref. Sensor" for 138.45. ICV? Or O2 sensor?

Ian
Old 03-21-2008, 06:46 PM
equality72521
Racer

Originally Posted by scarceller
Here is a thread on Pelican where someone had a bad Darlington transistor that drives the ICV.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=346667

If I found this in a DME I would suspect and fully test the Idle Control Valve, these transistors are tough and don't usually just burn out. They ussually fail because the current draw exceeded the specs of the transistor. Could be the cause of a faulty ICV (possibly shorted).

The best person I know that would know what fails (often) in these DMEs would be Loren.
Another case for the argument that Loren is an abrasive individual who never has anything positive to add to a conversation.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:47 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by imcarthur
Interesting. The 3rd item on the service receipt is "New Ref. Sensor" for 138.45. ICV? Or O2 sensor?

Ian
Could be the actual reference sensor. Part 911-606-215-01-M14 which is currently 142.00 at pelican.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:48 PM
pingman
Advanced

racerbvd,
Please check and/or replace the DME relay first. Your symptoms are like what I expierenced about a year ago on an '87 3.2. Thanks to the knowledgeable and dedicated people on these threads I was able to get going again. But the mistakes I made along the way gave me valuable expierence. I also got very good advice from Loren and think very highly of him and his opinions. I remember a quote that said 70% of the boxes returned to systems consultants for repair were fine, with no operational problems. Also check your top dead center and speed sensors on the flywheel. they are located on the left (driver's side of the car on the transmission. I replaced both of mine due to the insulation falling off and actually got a bad new sensor. Thanks to murphslaw, iceman, porschemd and loren I was able to solve this frustrating delima. The advice to put your box in another car is money in the bank. Hope this helps.
Mark
Old 03-21-2008, 07:52 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by old man neri
Could be the actual reference sensor. Part 911-606-215-01-M14 which is currently 142.00 at pelican.
Yeah, who knows. It wasn't itemised with part #s on the bill. The DME is also a non-Porsche Bosch unit. But it works.

Sorry for the blurry pic . . .

Ian
Old 03-21-2008, 08:27 PM
equality72521
Racer

According to the part number on the sticker it's a Porsche part. http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...811114&x=0&y=0
Old 03-21-2008, 09:20 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by equality72521
it's a Porsche part.
Agreed. But from a secondary supplier. Programa Tools . . .

It was installed when the original PO's ex-wife snagged the car & moved it to FL - but never changed the title.

Ian

Quick Reply: Carrera DME failure????????