Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carrera Owners Rejoice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
...Hopefully we only see a small, if any, reduction in the value of our '60s, '70s and '80s cars.
I get the impression that the 3.2's are heading up.

It must be so, because I want one, and I never seem to buy at the bottom!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

back off topic that sounds like a nice 928....
Old 03-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The resale no-value of '81-84 928s is almost a crime. Those cars are so good (yes, 2nd gear synchro is a bit fragile) with their 2V heads, non-interference valve to piston design, easy to change water pumps and belts, etc. that they should definitely be worth more than they are. Those cars as a group, along with 968s, someday should enjoy a place in the sun...
Old 03-20-2008, 12:29 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Pete,

I've always wondered how many clean Carreras are lost each year in the US due to floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, parted out, etc. on top of the shipments to Europe shrinking the supply pool.

Is it easier for car to be import an US spec car to Europe vs. a Euro-Spec to the US?

John
Old 03-20-2008, 12:52 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Pete,

I've always wondered how many clean Carreras are lost each year in the US due to floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, parted out, etc. on top of the shipments to Europe shrinking the supply pool.

Is it easier for car to be import an US spec car to Europe vs. a Euro-Spec to the US?

John
My US vin 76 930 was recently sold to a fellow in Germany - no hassle.

Steve
84 Carrera
64 356C race
Old 03-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC

Is it easier for car to be import an US spec car to Europe vs. a Euro-Spec to the US?John
This is exactly what happened to all of those wonderful, rust-free long hood cars that went back to Europe during the period when CA was requiring those cars to meet smog tests that were tougher than what the cars could meet when they were new. By the time somebody in the CA legislature woke up and exempted them it was too late, those cars were gone forever. As far as newer cars go, because unleaded fuel is pretty much available everywhere I would think that shipping a U.S. spec car to Europe would be quite easy.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:57 AM
kinematics
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first post here and what an appropriate topic it is. I collected Corvettes, BMWs, Z cars, classic Mustangs and even a Super Bee. In fact, I've owned more different brands and types of cars than I can count. Nothing spectacular, but all special for one reason or another.

Well, I finally broke down and bought my first Carrera, a 1984 in postively superb condition. We took our time, studied extensively, asked lots of questions and looked at lots of cars. I was smart enough (well at least smart enough to know the limit of my skills) to buy a near perfect example rather than a "fixer upper". They are quirky, finicky, unique, yet oddly beautiful and in their own way, quite durable and increasingly scarce. I also think the water- cooled versions have inadvertantly contributed to the value of the older air-cooled cars. The older 911s, and variants, have all the traits of a very collectable car. For me the deciding factor was simply this - these cars are gaining value better than a savings account and they are one hell of a lot more fun.

Good financial investment - maybe. Worth every cent - the fun meter says yup!
Old 03-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

kinematics, welcome to the club. We are a bunch of nut cases too. We love our cars though some are far from perfect. Some are daily driver and some are concours. You have to post pictures as quick as you can. Have fon with it. Here is a picture of my baby from Ohio sent to California to spend her golden years in the sun.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2008, 12:06 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

[QUOTE=douglas bray;5241432 Here is a picture of my baby from Ohio sent to California to spend her golden years in the sun.[/QUOTE]

Golden years? Come on now, she is still young, she is just getting out of her teen years I would think.

Quick Reply: Carrera Owners Rejoice!