Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Was running fine but suddely sputtering.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Ackmann
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was running fine but suddely sputtering.

Took my dad and boys for a drive in my new 81 911SC. Didn't push too hard on anything but as I came to a stop and proceed left it started to sputter and cough slightly accelerating it smoothed out but doesn't like low rpm. After pulling in the garage I checked spark plug wires and all were secure. I believe this may be related to fuel pump or something. now after starting it a few more times the gas pedal seams to not accelerate rpms unless I slowly increase and it continues to cough. When I turn the key I dont hear anything like a fuel pump running (should I ?). Owned for two weeks and it has been running great.

Any advise?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:37 PM
madmmac
Instructor

Do you know when the last tune up was?

I'd check the ignition point gap and see what condition they are in along with the cap and rotor.

Possibly bad gas...did you fill since last time out?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:07 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cap/rotor changeout?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Ackmann
Track Day

I'll check out the cap and rotor. Distributor is new. heads just done from Paul Walker Porsche in Seattle. Car was just done 18 months ago and only 3500 miles ago. I've went through two tanks of fuel since I've owned it. Are you thinking it may be more ignition or fuel based?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Ackmann
Track Day

looked at the cao & rotor and the look good (new actually) rotor brass tip showed some coloring so I scatched up lightly. intenals in the cap look new and no wear. I'll take this to a local porsche repair shop and have him look at it. It appears to be something basic but this being my first Porsche I'll let someone who knows more figuare it out and teach me a few things about my car.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

okay first things first .. to answer your question .

you will not here the pump running with the ignition on, but while te ignition is on you can take the air filter cover and filter out, rach in and gently lift the throtttle plate. as soon as you lit the plate you should here the fuel pump run. .

You car does not have any points. so there is nothing to check other than cap and rotor here.

i think bad gas or fuel pump is a real possibility. try a fuel addative ( such asa techron ) with fresh gas and see if it improves.

good luck gttng started.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Ackmann
Track Day

Ok so I did this hand heard a high pitched whining sound at teh plate when plate is lifted. I had kid do it while I listened upfront down by the fuel pump and it sounds like it is running. Perhaps filter plugged?
Anyother things to check whithout special tools needed?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

yes sounds like pump is running ut it doesn't mean it is putting out the right amount. But a filter is never a bad thing anyway and since you just got the car would be a good baseline thing to change regardless.

Beyond this you will need a few tools. If you re interested in tinkering with your car ( which I highly recomend if you are mechanically inclined ) get the Bentley and 101 projects book. Both great starter books and you will learn tonnes.
With the ignition on you should hear a high pitched whine from the very rear drivers area of the car ( ignition module ) and when you lift the plate you will hear the pump.

I had a recent bad experience with a bad ignition coil .. i would suspect it if your ignition coil is bright silver and is made in bazil.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:25 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Did you take on fuel before the drive, wash the car, leave it in the rain, change or tinder with anything under the lid, check the oil and loose the oil cap, does it idle the same as before?
Old 03-16-2008, 05:01 AM
Ackmann
Track Day

I have the 101 book and the actual service manual for 911sc from 78-83. Been looking it over. Ignition coil is blue and only couple years old, distributor new and red electronic ignition replaced in last few years. Fuel system was refilled a week ago and thirds 1/2 tank refill since I bought it 2 weeks ago. I may have stuff in the tank though since I dont see any receipts where anyone has had the tank drained or cleaned and car has had about 1500 miles a year on it the last 3-4 years. It seems to have gotten worse since I've let it sit in my garage. starts immediatly but then begins to sputter and not receptive to pedal acceleration.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:55 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe check the coil for spec....

fouled plug?

injector problem?

I understand your desire to get it to a Porsche mechanic...it's your time/$$$. Keep us posted..

Best of luck to you....

Quick Reply: Was running fine but suddely sputtering.