Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Water leak...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:45 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak...

Hi guys, I (well, the car) seems to have developed a leak in the rain. I found the driver's footwell soaked the other morning and had to dry the mat out. After a bit of feeling around I think that water is dripping down from the under edge of the dash in the right hand corner just above the air vent. The dash seems a little loose there and if I pull I can feel wet. The question is I'm not sure where it's getting there from. My guess is through the door but it's difficult to see exactly. Has such a thing happened to anyone else and any ideas on a fix? I've left a towel on the floor and my fingers crossed tonight but I fear the worst

Also, this may be unrelated, the immobilisor/alarm has gone on the blink at the same time. It's a CAT1 on the blipper - it will immobilise and lock but not unlock and whilst the indicators still flash there is no sound anymore.

Wattya all reckon?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If I had to make a guess, I'd say that the leak is coming from the lower corner of your windshield. The wet areas inside your car are pretty much where the water goes when the front glass seal leaks. How is the condition of the seal? Is the windshield glass delaminating (turning white-ish in its lower corners)? I'm assuming your car is a coupe...
Old 03-13-2008, 05:06 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Cheers Pete, I'll check this. I couldn't feel any wet around the lower edge of the windscreen so I guess the water ingress would go straight under the dash and not be felt where the dash joins the window?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:08 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does the same thing but on the passenger side. You better fix it soon or your windhield will turn wite around the edge like mine is. I found some windsheild sealer in my basement i think i may try to squirt some in the seal where its hazy to keep it at bay. Im sure most would recommend to try and rework the seal to stretch it where it belongs but i find that to be a non perminent slution if a solution at all because the seal will spring back to where its been for the past who knows how many years
Old 03-13-2008, 05:16 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

You know the vent at the top of the bonnet? That feeds cool air into the car?
I had my car leak once because the drain from the ventilation box was blocked (dirt, dust, small leaves and insects) The drain can be seen coming out of the box if you look under the bonnet. It then goes through into the passenger footwell (UK) and then out through the floor. If it gets blocked, water comes through all the passages that lead to the vents in the dash................and also out through the vents if you first discover it during an automated car wash
Ask me how I know....
Old 03-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kusee pee
Cheers Pete, I'll check this. I couldn't feel any wet around the lower edge of the windscreen so I guess the water ingress would go straight under the dash and not be felt where the dash joins the window?
Correct! The first time that we had to find that leak it drove us nuts because we couldn't feel it at the entry point. A couple hundred gallons of water later we figured it out...

And yes, Frank is right also , but I've found that problem in only a couple of cars over my entire career - just plain lousy luck, huh, Frank?!?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Water leak? You might want to check the radiator...
Old 03-13-2008, 11:58 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Correct! The first time that we had to find that leak it drove us nuts because we couldn't feel it at the entry point. A couple hundred gallons of water later we figured it out...

And yes, Frank is right also , but I've found that problem in only a couple of cars over my entire career - just plain lousy luck, huh, Frank?!?
Yes Pete, I'm plagued by it first Porsche - no good! first wife - no good!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:58 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

+1 on the windshield seal.

After 2 non-Porsche/non-German seals were put in my wife's '69 912, we finally stopped the leaks with a true OEM Porsche seal. A bit expensive, but seals better. Now, if we could only seal the small triangular windows in the doors, we'd be set!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Yes Pete, I'm plagued by it first Porsche - no good! first wife - no good!
My first Porsche was really cool , but man, we definitely shared the same "other" experience!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:29 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

My windshield also leaks at the bottom corner of the passenger side. No idea if my seal is OEM or not. I bought the car with the leak.

So Pete, is the recommended remmedy is to get a new OEM seal and re and re the window? Sounds expensive. Maybe a good opportunity to re and re the dash pad as well though.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
My windshield also leaks at the bottom corner of the passenger side. No idea if my seal is OEM or not. I bought the car with the leak.

So Pete, is the recommended remmedy is to get a new OEM seal and re and re the window? Sounds expensive. Maybe a good opportunity to re and re the dash pad as well though.
There are probably more than a few non-o.e. seals out there; I've had trouble with them, too, and as a result have always made sure that my clients knew to order a seal from a P-car dealer (my shop used a neighborhood glass service). If the lower corner(s) of your windshield are turning white it's de-laminating and you should probably budget for new glass also.

Yes, if you're going to do the dash anyway, you'll want to replace it when the windshield is out. It does get expensive to do it all at once, but is well worth it when finished.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Concur with Pete here for sure. This is extremely common with that era 911. To check it out you can put silver duct tape on the all of the windshield seal (glass to paint) and place some brown paper bags on the floor over the mats and then hose off the car. If you don't get water eventually on the paper bags then you know you effectively blocked its ingress. Take the tape off and do it again! then look what happens!
Old 03-15-2008, 05:09 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Cheers for all the replies guys. I'm 99% sure the leak is as most of you describe. My plan is to live with it for a little while then get the seal sorted when the car goes in for other work. There's no sign of the screen turning white so hopefully it's early days.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

the other thing to be aware of is make sure you have the beading in place that goes in the seal that spreads it out and seals it . i t was about a year before i relaized i didn't even have this in my car ... oh yeah right ..... john where are ay ;-)

Quick Reply: Water leak...