Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911s in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Hladun1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Also keep in mind if you drive it in the winter you will kill the re-sale value. Also, driving a 20+ year old car year round will make things needing replacement a lot faster. I personally wouldn't do it, but that is just me.

Jay is correct...do you want a creampuff or a car? There are enough 911's around that there are both types. Unfortunately some people with drivers want the prices that creampuffs get. That doesn't happen. On the other hand, some 911's have been driven to the point that the cost of taking them to creampuff status is just not worth it. I have found with restorations that you get about 1/2 your money back if some else does it or perhaps 2/3 if you do the work yourself.

I drive mine (78SC), I bought one that was driven, it's been rock solid reliable and when I'm driving I don't see the rust. If I wanted a car to look at I'd just get a picture.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Hladun1
Jay is correct...do you want a creampuff or a car? There are enough 911's around that there are both types. Unfortunately some people with drivers want the prices that creampuffs get. That doesn't happen. On the other hand, some 911's have been driven to the point that the cost of taking them to creampuff status is just not worth it. I have found with restorations that you get about 1/2 your money back if some else does it or perhaps 2/3 if you do the work yourself.

I drive mine (78SC), I bought one that was driven, it's been rock solid reliable and when I'm driving I don't see the rust. If I wanted a car to look at I'd just get a picture.
A creampuff 3.2 Carrera can cost $30k, but a daily driver can cost $20k. So it only costs $10k to drive your 911 year round! I think it's a heck of a deal to drive a 911 instead of letting it sit in the garage.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But how long will it look good and laste? I know a lot of guys who drive their 911's year round and you can tell by the beating that New England winters give them. I would rather buy a cheap Honda and keep my 911 for a life time then drive it in the winter and keep it for 5 or 6 years. Just my $.02.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
But how long will it look good and laste? I know a lot of guys who drive their 911's year round and you can tell by the beating that New England winters give them. I would rather buy a cheap Honda and keep my 911 for a life time then drive it in the winter and keep it for 5 or 6 years. Just my $.02.
To each his own, but for reference purposes, the 1988 Carrera that I owned was never a California or TX or Florida car. It started life in up-state NY, proceeded to Maryland for a large number of years, came to Chicago and is now in Canada. I don't think the car was sheltered from the winters, as evidence from the heater boxes and other parts of the car. This thing is going on 20 years and has zero rust on any of the body panels.

But I do agree that a car not exposed to the elements will last longer and look better than one that has been driven year-round.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:24 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
This thing is going on 20 years and has zero rust on any of the body panels.
Not exactly. After the first time I washed it I discovered a bit of run close to the door sill. Also, one of the rear bumper strips is 'bleeding' rust. It runs down the rear valence and stains it an orange, it's probably just the hardwear rust, no biggy on that one.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:46 PM
JScott
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 87" and with blizzaks and I drive it year round up to whistler all the time. Just this weekend it dumped in the mountains and I drove up there to go snowshoeing.

Vancouver has mild weather but when it does snow I can rip up and down the hills with the car and fly by 4x4's if they don't have snows.

It's 100% possible. the rear engine and rear wheel drive make for great traction.

Quick Reply: 911s in the snow