Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Swapping regular brakes for power assisted

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:45 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Swapping regular brakes for power assisted

Although I am a relative newbie in terms of 911 ownership, I am still having some issues with brake feel. I am sure I will get used to it, but right now, the pedal feel is like pushing on concrete. Very little play, and, quite franlky, very little feedback. I sometimes feel they won't stop the car.

Has anyone replaced manual for power assisted brakes?
Old 03-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Marty916
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may be the pads that are currently installed. I found the feel of the brakes on my '87 were also somewhat wooden so I did a pad change to a softer material and it improved the feel greatly. It's not very expensive to try and may solve your issues without a major project.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:10 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marty916
It may be the pads that are currently installed. I found the feel of the brakes on my '87 were also somewhat wooden so I did a pad change to a softer material and it improved the feel greatly. It's not very expensive to try and may solve your issues without a major project.
Interesting idea. What pads did you use?
Old 03-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking at your signature line I don't know if your car is a '78 or an '86. In any case, with either year your car already has power brakes...

Lack of "feel" is often caused by one or more calipers that need to be resealed, sometimes old hoses can also be the culprit.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:02 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

You can add the boost unit to earlier cars -- I did it with my 72. It's not a very simple thing to do, though -- there's welding involved.

As Pete mentions, your 78/86 already has the booster. Is it working?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:24 PM
MDL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Looking at your signature line I don't know if your car is a '78 or an '86. In any case, with either year your car already has power brakes...

Lack of "feel" is often caused by one or more calipers that need to be resealed, sometimes old hoses can also be the culprit.
Or, maybe you have an issue with the master cylinder power assist canister. I had problems as you described on my 69 Camaro a few years back, push and pray!!!. Turned out to be a vacuum leak inside the canister. Not sure, but the Porsche must operate on the same principle. Am I in the right ballpark here Pete, related to a Porsche?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Good suggestions by everyone here,...

I've found that brake pads make a HUGE difference in pedal feel & efforts. IMHO, Textars (OEM or factory) are not the best choice for anything but daily drivers where there is no accumulation of rust on the rotors.

Although you didn't say how many miles are on your car or whether any maintenance records offered useful information, you should check out the vacuum booster, MC and perhaps replace old rubber brake lines. I would strongly recommend looking to see what pads you have in there as thats really critical for having reasonable pedal efforts to stop the car.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

this may sound way off, but what about front wheel bearings? Mine were loose and caused uneven wear on my rotors and pads that caused one side to lock up long before the other. The new rotors(drilled Zimmerman) and pads(Mindex) really, really improved things.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:05 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Wow, tons of great ideas here. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I had no idea my car already had power assited brakes, and just assumed they didn't by the feel. The master cylinder was just replaced before I bought the car according to the owner. Also, I don't know what the brakes are supposed to feel like, so maybe they are fine, but just compared to my RX-7 feel different. We got about 2 to 3 feet of snow today, but when the weather gets better, I will have to do some investigation.

Peter, where should I start my investigation. If a caliper needs to be resealed, is it obvious from looking at it. How about the hoses?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

The hoses are easy - get access to them, they're dated on the ends. If they're older than 10 years, or have 100K miles - replace them.

The calipers are trickier. Usually you can get an idea of condition by removing a pad and pushing the piston back into the housing. If it's super-tight the caliper will probably need resealing - but if it is tight make sure that you release the hose from the caliper (cover the connection to protect everything from flying brake fluid), and try it again. If you've already got good hoses you usually don't have to do the last step.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:56 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
IMHO, Textars (OEM or factory) are not the best choice for anything but daily drivers where there is no accumulation of rust on the rotors.
Steve/Pete: What pads do you suggest for a typical summer fun Carrera? Not a DD.

And for the OP: When you do the caliper tests inspect the rubber gasket that seals the piston. These rip very easily & let crud into the piston chamber. An easy fix btw.

Ian
Old 03-09-2008, 02:05 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Steve. I will check the pads as well when I do my full inspection. I have no idea when they were changed or what they are.

Does anyone replace the stock brake hoses with steel braided? Are they even available, necessary?

Last edited by justinsrx7; 03-09-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Ian: I've always preferred Jurid or Pagid depending on application. I think that for your car/use Jurids would be a good choice.

Justin: I've never recommended braided hoses for anything other than actual racing/competition. Even then I only recommend hoses that are DOT approved, those are usually Kevlar braided. O.E. rubber hoses are the way to go, along with a high quality brake fluid like Ate Blue.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I'll differ from Pete here as my experience with Jurids has been horrible. In fact, I threw away a $200 pile of new Jurid pads last year due to come-backs and complaints.

FWIW,...I use Mintex on street cars and various Pagids for the track.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

WOW! And when I still had my shop (1999) Mintex pads were not suitable for any use other than the track, and even then they weren't as good as Porterfield pads - how things change! Good info, Steve, were the Jurid complaints mostly for noise, dust...?

Quick Reply: Swapping regular brakes for power assisted