Questions on the 3.2 vs 964 model

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetfighter
I mean more in the torque range and bringing the car up to speed on highway ramp. Not top speed, really very rarely are you going to reach 150 mph speeds.
ahhh, referring to acceleration or quickness, rather than speed or fastness.
so, back to Frere...

....................0-100kph..............0-160kph
'71 911S..........6.6.....................15.7
'87 Carrera......6.0 (a Cab!)........14.7
'89 964 C2.......5.5.....................12.9
'93 993............5.3 (avg of 2)......12.5

(the ol' 2.4 S performed pretty well, eh?)

murphyslaw... I would add dynamics (lightness / response / coherence), simplicity (maint, reliability) & style to your list. but of course ultimately, our lists are personal.

the "more of everything" is precisely why I don't like most 964s as much as 911 3.2s. yet the 993 has more, AND feels more coherent (if heavy). it is so nice to have so many iterations of the 911 available... all the same theme, all distinct flavors... yup, drive 'em! & own 2... or 3... or 4...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
so, back to Frere...

murphyslaw... I would add dynamics (lightness / response / coherence), simplicity (maint, reliability) & style to your list. but of course ultimately, our lists are personal.

the "more of everything" is precisely why I don't like most 964s as much as 911 3.2s. yet the 993 has more, AND feels more coherent (if heavy). it is so nice to have so many iterations of the 911 available... all the same theme, all distinct flavors... yup, drive 'em! & own 2... or 3... or 4...
Your right the 2.4 did quite well. I will continue to drive as many examples as possible. See what strikes my fancy, the tough part is that there are a lot of iterations of the 911 available and that just makes it more difficult, but all the more fun. The search will continue with a winner hopefully by Spring time. Again I really value everyones opinion. It has been helping me out a great deal as I try and narrow down my decision.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Personally, I wouldn't wait until spring. I bet I saved 3 to 4 grand by buying mine in the winter when the owner wasn't going to be able to drive it. On the issue of 964 vs 3.2, a guy in my parking garage has a 964 -- black like mine but with alloy wheels instead of Fuchs -- it just doesn't look classic like my 3.2. It's a bit like blondes vs brunettes ... both feel nice, but one look just suits you. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LUCKe27
Personally, I wouldn't wait until spring. I bet I saved 3 to 4 grand by buying mine in the winter when the owner wasn't going to be able to drive it. On the issue of 964 vs 3.2, a guy in my parking garage has a 964 -- black like mine but with alloy wheels instead of Fuchs -- it just doesn't look classic like my 3.2. It's a bit like blondes vs brunettes ... both feel nice, but one look just suits you. Good luck!
I agree I would like to purchase relatively soon, but with a Chicago winter it has made test drives rather difficult. We have had more snow this winter than in quite a while. Your right blondes and brunettes, lol, personally I prefer blondes.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:16 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

I read this analogy somewhere once:
"Newer 911s are like the space shuttle, older ones are like a rocket sled. You choose."

Oh, and it's redheads for me.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:00 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought my cabriolet December 20th in Chicago - snow on the ground- I got a good deal.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:55 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
so, back to Frere...

A 2.2S (which is what the '71's were) were a really neat car. But to get that 0-whatever time with an old 901 pull clutch was asking for trouble. But really, really enjoyable to wind them out; and they actually had some torque the 2.0S didn't.

So in that regard it's kinda funny to hear a 3.2 car being called the older/cruder model. It IS, but when they were new and I got one in the shop it was 911 luxury defined!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by old man neri
"Newer 911s are like the space shuttle, older ones are like a rocket sled. You choose."

Oh, and it's redheads for me.
I guess there really is no downside to it. Sounds kind of like there is fast, faster and fastest.

Originally Posted by g-50cab
I bought my cabriolet December 20th in Chicago - snow on the ground- I got a good deal.
You my friend are luckier than I.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:25 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"A 2.2S (which is what the '71's were) were a really neat car. But to get that 0-whatever time with an old 901 pull clutch was asking for trouble. But really, really enjoyable to wind them out; and they actually had some torque the 2.0S didn't.
So in that regard it's kinda funny to hear a 3.2 car being called the older/cruder model. It IS, but when they were new and I got one in the shop it was 911 luxury defined!"

Ken, In Frere's book he lists the perf. data (6th Ed. Appendix B, Sec. 11) according to the calendar year of the test, so his '71 test could've been a '72 MY - I didn't make that clear, sorry. The test car was his own, perhaps he was first in line to get delivery of a 2.4 S... I wouldn't be surprised. Anyway, your points are well-taken... don't dump the clutch in 1st on a 901 (or 915 or G50 for that matter). I might add, don't make too big a deal out of 0-60 accel figures.

Over the course of development, the 911's quantified perf #s change comparatively less than its feel & flexability. This is why I believe that #s only tell a part of the 911 story - it is the qualities that distinguish the versions from one another. Until one gets a hands-on feel for the qualitative distinctions I don't think an accurate opinion can be formed. This is a big (& understandable) challenge for first-time buyers, who are prone to make decisions based upon data rather than experience in their impatience to acquire. The conundrum is analogous to drivers new to DE events tending to want to spend $ on perf upgrades rather than more seat-time (well, tires DO get used up, don't they... & pads... &...). IMO, the 911 experience is one of quality over #s & those who appreciate that are the most satisfied over the years - I'm not suggesting numerical perf isn't important - w/ Porsche it is a given & more is always there to be had. So, that's why I harp on driving as many different examples as possible & spending as much time as it takes to be certain of one's preference. It is different for each individual.

Yeah, whenever I think my '87 feels ancient, I drive the 356 for awhile... afterwards the 911 is state-of-the-art all over again. A very cost-effective therapy. cheers!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:40 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I have owned two 3.2 Carreras, an 86 with the 915, currently an 87 with the G50 and a 94 3.6T (the 94 turbo is another story). In between the two 3.2 I had a 93 RS America. While the RSA was a great car and quicker than the 3.2, the 3.2 still has more of a raw engaging feel that I actually missed after I sold the 86. The G50 is definitely smoother than the 915, however, I still enjoyed the 915 as it forced you (the driver) to be smooth with nice rev matching down shifts and double clutch upshifts. I guess it all goes back to that earlier mentioned blonde and brunette analogy. Good luck....spring is coming...I think..
Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
so, back to Frere...

Thanks for the comparison table. Really puts things into perspective.

Yes, the list can and does get quite large when you really look at it. I didn't want to overwhelm
Old 03-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by old man neri
Good analogy, that sounds exactly right
Old 03-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streetfighter
I agree I would like to purchase relatively soon, but with a Chicago winter it has made test drives rather difficult. We have had more snow this winter than in quite a while. Your right blondes and brunettes, lol, personally I prefer blondes.
I have a question: what cars have you previously owned or own currently, and why do you like them? Tell us a little bit about what you like and don't like and that will give us more perspective...
Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I have a question: what cars have you previously owned or own currently, and why do you like them? Tell us a little bit about what you like and don't like and that will give us more perspective...
My first car was a 1999 BMW M3 coupe, which I purchased five years ago. I drove it for a little while and then bought a 2001 Audi S4. As you can tell I really enjoy German cars. Not enjoy, love German cars. Anyway, not to long ago I moved onto a 2002 Honda S2000 and that is what I am driving currently. This move was made to appease my significant other who believes that I blow to much money on cars and motorcycles, which is another story.

I have always wanted a Porsche since youth, I have searched off and on for about two years. I have driven a 2000 Boxster, 1989 Carrera C4 and a 1984 Targa. Have traveled in a 1982 Carrera and I believe an 1987 944. I have some experience with Porsches. Recently, I decided to make the dream come true and buy a 911. I love the 993, but a little to pricey for me at this point. That leaves the 964 and the 911. Which makes for an awfully tough choice. I am looking for a nice 911 that I can drive till the wheels fall off.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ked
"A 2.2S (which is what the '71's were) were a really neat car. But to get that 0-whatever time with an old 901 pull clutch was asking for trouble. But really, really enjoyable to wind them out; and they actually had some torque the 2.0S didn't.
So in that regard it's kinda funny to hear a 3.2 car being called the older/cruder model. It IS, but when they were new and I got one in the shop it was 911 luxury defined!"

Ken, In Frere's book he lists the perf. data (6th Ed. Appendix B, Sec. 11) according to the calendar year of the test, so his '71 test could've been a '72 MY - I didn't make that clear, sorry. The test car was his own, perhaps he was first in line to get delivery of a 2.4 S... I wouldn't be surprised. Anyway, your points are well-taken... don't dump the clutch in 1st on a 901 (or 915 or G50 for that matter). I might add, don't make too big a deal out of 0-60 accel figures.

Over the course of development, the 911's quantified perf #s change comparatively less than its feel & flexability. This is why I believe that #s only tell a part of the 911 story - it is the qualities that distinguish the versions from one another. Until one gets a hands-on feel for the qualitative distinctions I don't think an accurate opinion can be formed. This is a big (& understandable) challenge for first-time buyers, who are prone to make decisions based upon data rather than experience in their impatience to acquire. The conundrum is analogous to drivers new to DE events tending to want to spend $ on perf upgrades rather than more seat-time (well, tires DO get used up, don't they... & pads... &...). IMO, the 911 experience is one of quality over #s & those who appreciate that are the most satisfied over the years - I'm not suggesting numerical perf isn't important - w/ Porsche it is a given & more is always there to be had. So, that's why I harp on driving as many different examples as possible & spending as much time as it takes to be certain of one's preference. It is different for each individual.

Yeah, whenever I think my '87 feels ancient, I drive the 356 for awhile... afterwards the 911 is state-of-the-art all over again. A very cost-effective therapy. cheers!
My feeling is that if your going to drive a Porsche you really want to become one with the car. Feel it out intially then begin to push the boundries as you feel comfortable. The 911 is about as raw of automobile, pure auto as any available. It takes the driver back to the roots of driving a sports car, to me that is what makes the experience so memorable. Little for me has to do with numbers, its more the feeling you get as you sit down and turn the key listening to that engine sing.

Quick Reply: Questions on the 3.2 vs 964 model