Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is this bypass any good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:29 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this bypass any good?

Does anyone have any experience with the bypass on the attachment? It's just a secondary bypass from Design 911. I'm looking for a cheap way to releasing more noise and I can't afford a full exhaust system at the moment. Any experience or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: in case you can't open the attachment it's the last bypass on the site below under exhausts "74-89". Cheers

http://www.design911.co.uk/index.htm?Region=UK

Last edited by kusee pee; 04-14-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:47 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't open the attachment?

Shame you're not in Australia, I have a perfectly good fabspeed bypass and monty in my garage, I just wish I could be bothered putting it on ebay.

From experience you wont get any more sound out of a bypass, it's the muffler that kills all the rumble. You may pick up a hp, maybe, but I couldn't feel anything. A good free flowing muffler and bypass does make a difference, not a huge deal but enough moreso it made driving the car a lot more enjoyable for me as the sound is fantastic.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You really are trying to **** off the neighborhood aren't you. That is the loudest exhaust available shy of a megaphone. It is not just a cat - bypass, but a total dump pipe. Way to go is you want to set off alarms across town. good man.

CUT AND PAISTE:

World's lightest, most powerful exhaust system available on the market
Fits all 911 cars worldwide 1975-1989.
Maximum Power- more than ANY other Muffler/exhaust system. Very aggressive 911 sport-scar sound. Works with stock catalytic converter or our Catbypass Pipe/Euro-premuffler,
System comes with outlet pipe, clamp (not shown) and slip-on turndown ,Saves up to 30lbs (15KG) off the rear end of a 911 ,Eliminates all 911 Rear Mufflers
Old 02-27-2008, 06:18 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spence88mph
it's the muffler that kills all the rumble.
the bypass in that attachment actually bypasses the muffler! ie its a straight pipe off the cat

tim - before you spend 68 quid take off the muffer (2 straps and 3 bolts) start here up and see what it sounds like. i expect it will sound evil and very loud. note i didnt say "too" loud

Last edited by JV911; 02-27-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:22 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by douglas bray
You really are trying to **** off the neighborhood aren't you. That is the loudest exhaust available shy of a megaphone. It is not just a cat - bypass, but a total dump pipe. Way to go is you want to set off alarms across town. good man.
Cheers Douglas, I thought it might be! In my old 965 I had a double bypass and all the neighbours complained. Followed by a visit from the Environmental Health Office. See the thread below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=27585

Looks like I'll be in for round two. In fact, the worst neighbour was standing in her dressing gown frowning at me as I left for work today. And that's with the standard exhaust...
Old 02-27-2008, 06:53 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahhh I couldn't open the attachment.

I've started mine with just the cat bypass, it sounds mean but too much for me, on the track it would be cool though.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:27 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

I have the same type of piece from Fabspeed. I ONLY use it when I leave the house after 8am, and only during the summer when the Harleys are out. It DOES sound awesome, the Cummins-Diesel Dodge guy at work loves the sound. Problem is, it's a little on the loud side even for me. The TONE is excellent, the VOLUME is a bit much.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Actually, it isn't a Cat-Bypass at all, it is a muffler bypass. It bolts to the cat, or to a cat-bypass, which you'll need also if you don't have a cat. As Doug said it is loud. Obnoxiously loud. My car is loud, but not obnoxious.

You won't like it, save your money.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:21 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Yeah, sorry Ed, didn't specify. Actually, I run the Fabspeed cat bypass (pre-muffler) with the M&K muffler. In the summer when I'm feeling Harley-ish, I throw on their muffler bypass aka dump tip.

BTW, this combo is too loud for muffled track events at 95db limits.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

Ahhh, the silencer bypass pipe!

I had that exact part on my car and the noise it made was glorious! It sounds phenomenal. I used to go out 'tunnel hunting'

The combination of that pipe and a nice long tunnel is a sound incomparable to anything I've heard on a car this side of a racetrack. I simply could not believe the noise it made after I'd fitted it.

pros:
sounds like the god of thunder (I really can't impress upon you enough, the volume and depth of sound you will experience with this pipe)
gives more power
shoots huge flames on overrun

cons:
within a week your neighbors will despise you
you will set off the car alarm of every parked car you pass
you attract the attention of EVERY SINGLE pedestrian, passer by, other motorist, copper, etc
within two weeks your neighbors will be plotting your murder
the drastic change in back pressure means your fueling setting should be adjusted
Withing three weeks your neighbors will have killed you... to death!

If I were you I'd buy one tomorrow. You simply have to experience this. even if you can't live with it for more than a couple of months it's a 15 minute job to fit it and it will have you grinning from ear to ear.

I had to take mine off as I fitted a 964 bumper with twin exhaust ports and needed to have an exhaust that fitted this. I have some professional recordings of the exhaust at my work. I need to figure out some stuff with codec but I'll see if I can post them here

cheers
Nick
Old 02-28-2008, 12:25 PM
sagolfer
Cruisin'

Wow, after your description, I can hear them flying off the shelves. Even if just to hear it for 1 day.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:58 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nicklouse10
Ahhh, the silencer bypass pipe!

I had that exact part on my car and the noise it made was glorious! It sounds phenomenal. I used to go out 'tunnel hunting'

The combination of that pipe and a nice long tunnel is a sound incomparable to anything I've heard on a car this side of a racetrack. I simply could not believe the noise it made after I'd fitted it.

pros:
sounds like the god of thunder (I really can't impress upon you enough, the volume and depth of sound you will experience with this pipe)
gives more power
shoots huge flames on overrun

cons:
within a week your neighbors will despise you
you will set off the car alarm of every parked car you pass
you attract the attention of EVERY SINGLE pedestrian, passer by, other motorist, copper, etc
within two weeks your neighbors will be plotting your murder
the drastic change in back pressure means your fueling setting should be adjusted
Withing three weeks your neighbors will have killed you... to death!

If I were you I'd buy one tomorrow. You simply have to experience this. even if you can't live with it for more than a couple of months it's a 15 minute job to fit it and it will have you grinning from ear to ear.

I had to take mine off as I fitted a 964 bumper with twin exhaust ports and needed to have an exhaust that fitted this. I have some professional recordings of the exhaust at my work. I need to figure out some stuff with codec but I'll see if I can post them here

cheers
Nick
Cheers Nick - you're right, I've got to go for it! I reckon it'll be similar to the double bypass on my 965 for volume (ie, hell loud) and I'll probably only have it temporarily. And the neighbours will totally kill me (they all had it in for me with the 965 and had the Council onto me too). But I've got to experience it
Old 02-29-2008, 05:15 PM
RAJU
Advanced

give me your e-mail so i can send a sketch we did to my 83 sc . i can`t seem to work incert attachment on this site.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:30 PM
nicklouse10
Instructor

hey hey,

here is a recording of my car with this exhaust fitted. Unfortunately I cant suss out the codec stuff that would allow me to post the raw sound, this was taken with a camcorder and the audio leaves a lot to be desired but it gu=ives the basic idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLiFF6KESoc

My work recorded this (you can see all the microphones around the back of the car) as I work for a videogames company and the 911 audio is going in the game we are currently developing (along with the audio from the other cars in the vid)

The coolest part is that our audio team have now put together some of the code so now I can open a little application on my desktop and 'rev' my car using the space bar, and get the audio out of my speakers or headphones. The longer I depress the space bar for, the higher the revs climb and when I release the space bar, irrespective of where in the rev range I've got to, I then hear the bark, pop, bang on overrun! Everyone else in the office hates it but I'll never tire of redlining my car at full volume every 10 minutes without having to leave my desk!

Nick
Old 03-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Now that looks like a lot of fun. and to think you are getting paid to do that.

this is the video that began playing when your's was done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY4YGZfLMgw&NR=1#

try not to look at the girl. bet you can't do it. she has the right equipment to keep you entertained...

Quick Reply: Is this bypass any good?