Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just got my first 3.2!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my first 3.2!

Hi all - before you say anything don't worry, pics will follow soon!

I just wanted to share my excitement at being back in the 911 fold after having had about 6 (very long) months off. Having previously owned a 964C2 and a 964 turbo II I've now got myself an '86 3.2 coupe in white. It's a clubsport replica (on the outside at least) and is lovely. It feels great to be back in a 911 and even better to be in one without power steering. I'm even happy to have a 915 box as I'm looking forward to mastering in it (so far it's all good except the 1st to 2nd shift which sometimes catches me out - any tips appreciated!).

In comparison to the 964 and the turbo it feels just as special (in fact, more so than the 964). The engine seems so much lighter to rev than the 964 (this has been my experience with other 3.2s and I'm not sure why). It's not as quick but the steering makes up for it - it's fantastic!

The only mod I want to get done is to make it louder - any tips on the best way to do this? I've little knowledge of the 3.2 exhaust system but I've run double-bypasses on both my previous cars so too loud is not a phrase I use often!

Anyway, I'm really happy with it and I'm looking forward to getting back into regular rennlist use too - I've stayed off since I sold the turbo. Here's to enjoying an old-school 911
Old 02-23-2008, 08:20 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Kick'n it back old school. Nice!

I had a Fabspeed dual outlet with bypass on my 82SC. I chose it over the Billy Boat. To me It had a better sound. Loud enough. My 78SC track car has headers that run into a set of super-trapps. I add and subtract disc as neccesary to raise and lower the volume.

Cheers
Old 02-23-2008, 08:32 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your new beast.

Here's a thread on Pelican of exhaust sounds to help you. Turn up your speakers & enjoy. See Ultimate Exhaust Thread

Ian
Old 02-23-2008, 12:04 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great car - enjoy it! From memory, the stickiness of the 915 box can be minimized by changing gear oils... Others can chime in, but I think Red Line was a good brand to use...

-B
Old 02-23-2008, 12:40 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
the stickiness of the 915 box can be minimized by changing gear oils... Others can chime in, but I think Red Line was a good brand to use...
For 915 use Swepco
For G50 use Mobil 1 or Redline NS (for non LSD)

Ian
Old 02-23-2008, 03:19 PM
CharlesJones
AutoX

Hi,

Congratulations on buying the 3.2! I've had my '84 for nearly four years now, and I couldn't be happier with it - they're great cars, and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

As regards the 915 'box, many say use Swepco oil as mentioned above, but I'm not sure if its available in the UK. I certainly can't find it here in Ireland. Someone recommended a Castrol gearbox oil which is available in Europe - I need to investigate this further. One thing I found which greatly improved the 915 shifting was to replace the polyurethene (dunno how to spell that) bushings in the shift tower - there's two in there. People have said if you change the bushings in the shift rod coupling behind the seats it helps too, although I haven't tried that yet. There should be info on how to do all this on the forums here or on Pelican if you wish to try this. Another thing which I found greatly improved the feel as well as actual shifting of the 'box was fitting a Seine Systems gate shift kit (www.seinesystems.com) - I really can't recommend this enough - made a big improvement, and also helps to lessen the chance of the dreaded mis-shift. Changing from 1st to 2nd always is slow, by the way, and you get used to pausing briefly between gears before pushing the lever home into second. And you can try double de-clutching too - I'm not too good at that yet, but it does make the shift smoother.

On the subject of exhausts there are tons of mufflers and systems available and it's a lot of fun listening to youtube vids of them. I've just bought a set of SSI's and an M&K exhaust, which I will be fitting later this winter. There's some controversy about whether or not SSI's actually help performance on a 3.2, but I've heard they sound great which is why I'm going to try them. If you keep the stock heat exchangers I am guessing you car will be a Euro model with the pre-muffler, so you won't need to bother about a cat bypass.

It was interesting to hear how your new 3.2 compares to the 964 and turbo you owned before. One problem I find with owning a 3.2 and not owning such fabulous cars first is that I find myself forever wondering what a turbo or later air-cooled 911s feel like. In you case you've been there, done that, and so can just get on enjoy your 3.2. You are in an enviable position!

Good luck, and post pics when you can.

Charles.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:43 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by imcarthur
For 915 use Swepco
For G50 use Mobil 1 or Redline NS (for non LSD)

Ian
Thanks Ian! Redline is for the G50 and Swepco is for the 915.

And from what I understand, it makes a big difference!

-Blake
Old 02-23-2008, 04:53 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Congrats on the new car! Get the pics posted asap.
I had a chance to drive my friend's 964 C4 for a week while we played on the twisties. I really liked the car, but it was a completely different beast than my 3.2.

When the 3.2 is moving, I also prefer the LACK of power steering. It's a bugger in parking lots, but I really didn't buy the 911 to go to WalMart in. I am in complete agreement with you on this point... the non-power steering in the 3.2 is the way to go.

You're gonna love it.

Last edited by 911vet; 02-24-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:54 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!

Best,
Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 AM
Dentron
Instructor

Congratulations. I love my 87 911 too...

Last edited by Dentron; 02-24-2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:31 AM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

Great choice
Old 02-24-2008, 05:06 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the replies guys and particularly the detail about the 915 and exhausts. I've driven the car a lot over the past three days and I'm really enjoying the shift action and the satisfaction of getting it right. The steering is also a real joy - I never realised how power steering took so much away with the 964 and turbo.

Here are a few pics:

Last edited by kusee pee; 05-23-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:20 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! looks great with the red fuchs and carrera script

as for exhaust, it depends how much you want to spend. you could get a pre-muffler and muffler (my preference is Monty) or you could go the whole hog and get headers and a muffler

check out hte pelican thread

congrats

oh ever been to goodwill festival? i'll be there this july
Old 02-24-2008, 05:31 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JV911
Sweet! looks great with the red fuchs and carrera script

as for exhaust, it depends how much you want to spend. you could get a pre-muffler and muffler (my preference is Monty) or you could go the whole hog and get headers and a muffler

check out hte pelican thread

congrats

oh ever been to goodwill festival? i'll be there this july
Cheers JV. Yes, I go to the festival every year and will be back again this year. Maybe we could arrange a meet?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:40 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that would be cool...cant beat local knowledge. i've got a week in london from 6/7 (i'll catch the train to goodwood on the friday) then a week travelling...national motor museum, donnington, brooklands, mclaren & williams factories. topping it all off with a week in the greek islands

i'll shoot you a PM

Quick Reply: Just got my first 3.2!