Sway Bar Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 PM
pingman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar Brackets

Hello All,
I got a box today! It had that funny looking bird on it! Ya-hooey!. Okay now the question, I have one sway bar bracket broken the other probably soon. I have purchased two new ones and need a little background to know how to repair them. I know the basics, ground off the old and weld on the new, but do you completely grind off the old bracket? Can you damage the chassis if you grind too much? Is the bracket spot welded ? Do you grind off just the welds? Do you spot weld on the new one? I know these questions seem odd, but the nearest Porsche dealer is 125mi away, and I am trying to get this done in town by someone I trust. But I would like to know A little before I turn over my wheels to someone. Thank ya'll for taking the time, By the way it is an '87 911 Targa.
Mark
Old 02-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Give me a fiew minutes and I'll walk you thru

When you grind off the old ones you will see that they conform to the shape of the frame. the new ones go right back into the exact same spot. you will want to have the car on level ground (or a lift that you drive onto) so that the car is level and balanced. You want to bolt the swaybar back togeather on both sides and hold the new mounts in place with large C-clamps. It is important that the bar is not pre-loaded on one side or the other. Make sure you have good rubber in the drop links and around the bar on the mounts. I fould that only the dealer had the correct diameter rubber (21mm). Spot weld both sides and then weld the inside and outside of the new mounts. Having everything assembled before you weld is the only way to insure it is lined up and not holding a load. REMEMBER FIRE KILLS The undercoating is very flamable and fires right up. I used Worth brand undercoating in a can to cover everything back up when I was done. I think the fuel line runes along the drivers side frame rail, so be careful.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 02-21-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...+swaybar+mount

check this out....

This reminds me. The stock mount was junk on one side and the aftermarket one on the otherside was even worse. WEVO is the only way to go. I got mine from Steve Weiner who checks in on the link above.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:20 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Wevo! or you could use Wevo!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:27 PM
pingman
Advanced

Thank you both for the replies. I already have a problem, I thought I was getting the wevo but I looked this afternoon and have the OEM's I'll have to return them and get the wevo's. Thanks.
Mark
Old 02-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

https://rennlist.com/spnsrs/rennsport.html

Call Steve at Rennsport. He will walk you thru anything you buy from him.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:01 PM
pingman
Advanced

Thanks Doug I really appreciate all the help. Have you ever thought about being a stand-up comedian?
Even in the dead air of the web you kill me!
Mark

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Brackets