Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How replacing Gearshift bushings on 915 tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
PostVW
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How replacing Gearshift bushings on 915 tranny

I´m planning to replace the Ball socket (below shift lever) and a bushing for the shift rod at my SC from -83.
I peeled off the rubber boot and had a look down in the housing where the shift lever lives and can see the ball socket deep down there. But how should I proceed, can I just remove the complete housing including the shift lever with all it´s things, or do I need to take all apart piece by piece? Anyone who have done it and can explain how?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

You should replace the shift coupler, as well.

Simply remove the bolts holding the shift tower to the floor and pull it up.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,039 Likes on 739 Posts

yeah the whole thing comes out .. I also removed the shift coupler after carefuly marking it on the linkage bar and replaced the two bushings in there also. There is also a donut shaped one on a guide tube I replaced also. was pretty easy to do it all actually.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:11 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, remove 3 large allen bolts and 2 small allen bolts, and the whole shifter assembly comes out as one piece. The ball/socket bushing pulls straight out, and replace the white bushing at the end of the shift stick.
The 2nd bushing to replace is a donut shaped guide attached by above mentioned 2 small allen bolts. This donut shaped bushing is a guide for a rod running fore/aft attaching the shift stick to the tranny.

The 3rd bushing that should be changed, and will yield the best improved feel (more precise/smoother shifting), is the Shift Coupler Bushing. Located under sheet metal door on floor (under carpet) between rear seat foot area.
The shift coupler has 2 rubber bushings (both donut shaped).

Tons of info/pics on PelicanParts.com (911 Technical Forum)--just do a search there for different perspectives on how to change these bushings.
I just did all mine a few wks ago, and there's a much improved shifting feel.

good luck
mike

Quick Reply: How replacing Gearshift bushings on 915 tranny