Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

WTB . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Jayhawkjustice
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB . . .

Looking for an 87-89 3.2 911 Carrera for use as a daily driver. Would prefer car with less than 80,000 miles. I'm not picky about the color of the car nor the interior. I am looking for a "better example" and not a car that I would be required to rehab prior to using it on a daily basis. I have until June to find a car, but wanted to start the search now since the good cars sometimes take a while to locate.

Please feel free to contact me via email (jweis@bowse-law.com) or on this site if you have a line on a car for me.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

A nice black one is up on pelican very close to your post...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=356259

W/ the beefy torsion bars and metal bushings - may not be the ideal daily driver that you're looking for.

Here's another that's been on pelican for a while...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=380936

This one has more miles than you're looking for, but appears to be really nice...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=389799

I think some of the 87s had some valve guide issues if I'm not mistaken (or some sort of trouble causing many to require top-end jobs prematurely) so that would factor into any PPI. Good luck!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:31 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Default 88 911 cab with 73K

Check out mine on cars.com located in Cincinnati priced at $19,200 and only 73,200 miles. Had a recent PPI performed by a very reputable Porsche master technician..... this is a driver with lots of life left, mechanically very sound but has a few repair items that were identified and should be addressed. Fuel hose and oil return hose showing age, rear stabilizer bar mount, valve adjust, front toe adjust and new brake pads all round. Has had a total repaint in the original diamond blue, collision on the right side having had rear quarter and passenger door replaced but no major damage otherwise. Cabriolet with manual black top and burgundy interior. Have records from previous owner but none from apparent two other owners. Clean car fax report. Not concours condition but with newer top and paint a head turner. Interior is excellent condition. Would love to keep but I've only put 12,000 miles on in the 4.5 yrs I've had it...and always garaged. Kids going to college soon makes it hard to justify keeping. I will consider price adjustment based on recent needs identified. Buyer who arranged PPI still considering.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:08 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

All Carreras Rick - not year specific
Old 02-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by g-50cab
All Carreras Rick - not year specific
You're referring to the valve guide issue?

I've heard that carreras, the early 964s and 993s (post '95 given the OBII issues) all have a greater risk of valve guide issues compared to the SCs. But I also have read that in particular, 87s (early 87s I believe) were particularly prone to this issue. I may be wrong.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:17 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick K
You're referring to the valve guide issue?

I've heard that carreras, the early 964s and 993s (post '95 given the OBII issues) all have a greater risk of valve guide issues compared to the SCs. But I also have read that in particular, 87s (early 87s I believe) were particularly prone to this issue. I may be wrong.
It's an odd issue. I have yet to read one post anywhere that explains why some cars need it and some don't. No one seems to have figured it out.

Maybe it is as simple that every car that was built on a Wednesday afternoon will have the issue because the brewery down the road from the Porsche factory had a Wednesday 2 for 1 lunch special on pints.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I have definitely seen more 3.2 Carreras with guide issues than the SCs, that's for sure. But like was mentioned above, it can pretty much be impossible to find a common denominator.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jayhawkjustice:

Where are you located? Please add your location to your profile. how far are you willing to travel for a car?

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Jayhawkjustice
5th Gear

Certainly willing to travel for a car. I live in Kansas City, MO so I am centrally located and willing to go just about anywhere for a good car. If you are aware of a car then please pass it along.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Quick Reply: WTB . . .