911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

EDIT help me'75 911S What is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003 | 10:22 PM
thomschoon
Instructor

Post EDIT help me'75 911S What is it worth?

I just looked at a '75 S with 60180 miles. The car has been in storage since 1991 after a rather bad repaint and the owner moved on to another project. The car had been driven in the salt and is Ziebarted at some time in the past. It has a bit of rust at the bottom of the Drivers door and the battery area has a limited amount. In general the car is original with redone leather in the front. So what do you think it is worth? I have looked at all of the guides but the car will need the brakes checked and gone through from sitting, chain tensioners, valve covers, the heating/exhaust piping cleaned up as the heat was disconnected, and some wiring retied so it looks right. The car will never be 90 point clean as the repaint is not that good but could be a great driver, so what kind of price would you offer?

NOTE: the car runs great, it starts and runs clean. The car was started and driven on a regular basis but the guy just moved on to a Pantera and now needs the garage space for a new boat. The repaint was probably good at the time but sitting in the shop collecting dust has exactly helped it. The repairs I estimate are what I see as worse case. I appreciate all of the help, I see it as a nice $6000 driver or put in some more and run it hard. the head studs are a concern as are the tensitioners, but 60k looks pretty good when compared to what
Old 02-26-2003 | 09:50 AM
Mike Kast
Advanced

3500? 4000? sorry... I can't help myself! I really have no clue.
Old 02-26-2003 | 10:39 AM
TerryBPP
Track Day

I'd say between $10,000 to $15,000 only because of the low mileage if it only has bad paint. The only thing I would be worried about is a 2.7 liter with 60,000 miles taht has not been rebuilt. If the head studs have not been dealt with yet be sure they will need attention soon. To sum up, it sounds to me like a bad car (bad motor/bad paint with good interior. But this is only from what you described.
Old 02-26-2003 | 10:49 AM
gerry100
Pro

The rust would concern me greatly, any car that.s spent it's life in CNY and whose owner felt the need to Ziebart could have serious/expensive body problems. Could that be why the project was abandoned by the PO?. I'm sure the cost to tear down and fix the body is significant thousands.

If the body is bad your really buying some good mechnical parts hosted by a dying body while you drive it around. I'd guess in the $4-5 k range.
Old 02-26-2003 | 11:23 AM
sivaDseliM
Advanced

tomschoon -- sent email to listed address.
Old 02-26-2003 | 12:13 PM
Douglas_T
Racer

I would say in or around the $6,000 range although its so hard to tell without seeing & driving it.
Old 02-26-2003 | 03:23 PM
RC
Intermediate

Judging from your e-mail I gather that the car is not currently running and has not been started since 91. If that is correct, I would only offer about $2000, if that much. I know there are a few people out there who might disagree due to the low mileage, but the fact is this car is might be a money pit, to some extent. The fuel system will need to cleaned out, and you might need a new fuel tank and distributor due to rust in the fuel system and the fuel becoming gum due to sitting. Not mention what you already stated. I was in the same position a few weeks ago, but I decided to pass after talking to a Porsche mechanic about the endeavor. Just saying that you should be prepared for anything, it might cost more than you think.
Old 02-27-2003 | 12:23 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

You see 75's listed for 8-14k in very nice condition usually. Subtract from that the paint, rust issues and whatever it takes to get it roadworthy. 2-4k is my guess. Sitting for so long my guess is it will need lots of small hoses, tires, brakes and so on.
Old 02-28-2003 | 12:15 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Whatever you pay for it, plan on $$$$ for engine repairs. Read Porsche buyers guide or Excellence, Bruce Anderson and many others would advise you to run away from 75-77 911's. If your budget allows,look for a 78 or newer.
Robert
97 C2S
65 356 euro C
Old 03-01-2003 | 09:20 AM
Loual
8th Gear

I've owned a '75 for 20 years - a proper '75 is a great car. Due to the bad reputation of the 2.7 liter engine (heat issues, premature valve guide wear, head studs pulling from the magnesium case) the U.S. models of the 1974 - 1977 911s trade at a discount relative to other 911s. As these cars are now almost 30 years old, most owners have rebuilt the engines in these cars to deal with these issues, so it is not clear that the discount is justified.

In any event, really nice ones should cost no more than $12-15k. Therefore, I would urge you to do a thorough PPI and find the best one you can find, rather than buy one needing work. Usually when you do this, you may still end up spending $2k on stuff missed in the PPI; however, if you go into a project expencting to spend "only" $6k, you're more likely to spend $10k to $12k when you add in surprises, and you can quickly run up a tab that exceeds the value of the car. The low mileage is not necessarily a good thing. The worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit unused for years. I think you'd have far fewer issues with a 120k miles car that's been driven 3k a year, than a 60k mile car that sat for 10 years. What matters is condition, and condition is worth paying for.

Good luck!
Lou
Old 03-04-2003 | 10:32 PM
RChookset
7th Gear

Unless you have no choice wait until you can find a rust free example. As an owner of a '75 I can tell you that this model year may encounter more problems than most, but not always, it varies from car to car. Unless documented you may have to add a digit to the 60,000 reported miles. Sounds like a bunch of money being thrown into this one so start your bid LOW>>>

Quick Reply: EDIT help me'75 911S What is it worth?