Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1967 911 S - real world impressions anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:50 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 1967 911 S - real world impressions anyone?

Potential purchase here, but I haven't yet driven the car. Initially I was looking for a 2.2 or 2.4 -- then this 2.0 coupe came along and it's tempting.

I'm planning on using it for weekend/nice weather use, drives up the coast, etc., so it doesn't need to be a daily driver. However:

1. Are the Webers a p.i.t.a. compared to the FI cars?
2. Are these cars as bulletproof as the 2.2/2.4? I assume they have the early chain tensioners (and fortunately no air pump...)
3. Is the gearbox balky or good? (I'll know the answer when I drive it...)
4. Acceleration: I know that by 72-73 the S was genuinely fast. Is a 67 going to be as fun to drive?

Thanks all. Great board, I sold my 993 a few years back and have caught the vintage bug now.

Jon
Old 02-04-2008, 06:22 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While my SWB is a standard, not an S...
1. Not really. I broke down and let my wrench set them some years ago...haven't touched them since.
2. No problems in 60k miles after rebuild (okay, I did have the valves done on one side, but that was after I had to drive it daily for about three weeks in the middle of winter--a NORTH DAKOTA winter--so I can't really fault the car).
3. I've always had a bit of slop in my linkage. I assume I could take most of it out, if needed. And you can get used to the racing pattern quickly (1st is spring loaded to the left and down and I do tend to double-clutch it at lights when I have to use 1st).
4. Fun? I'd sell my 84 before the 68. They're nimble (SWB and all) and surprisingly quick. Remember, these are seriously light to begin with. A 993 may run away from you leaving a light, but in the curves, they'll keep up with anything. Did I tell you about the Saturday we took a spirited drive down some rural roads? I was following a 993 Targa...
Old 02-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by rgrimm
...Did I tell you about the Saturday we took a spirited drive down some rural roads? I was following a 993 Targa...
Then it must be that the video game "Need for Speed 5 - Porsche Unleashed" is not very realistic, because a 993 will smoke an early 911.

Or maybe you're just a good driver?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Roger, Nice lookin 68! You are dead on correct about the swb cars.. super light and nimble. my lowly 912 can keep up with later 911s, and even early 911s.. its thr straights that get ya! 3 yeasr ago i was on a drive with a friend in his late 80s 911 carrera. he couldnt shake me in the twisties (i would have pulled away in the twisties if i could have gotten infront of him, but it was a fun drive after all, no need to be an ***). In the straigher areas, he blew me away.

last year i was with a bunch fo early lwb 911 friends who are in rgruppe.. i could keep up in the twisties, and managed (but really struggled) to keep up in the straights, and was making full use of my gears and rpms. they were suprised i could keep up to say the least and thought it was heavily modded (when in all reality, its subtly modded)

anyways.. a swb car is light and nimble and very fun. it can hang with the best of em.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

While my SWB is a standard, not an S...
1. Not really. I broke down and let my wrench set them some years ago...haven't touched them since.
2. No problems in 60k miles after rebuild (okay, I did have the valves done on one side, but that was after I had to drive it daily for about three weeks in the middle of winter--a NORTH DAKOTA winter--so I can't really fault the car).
3. I've always had a bit of slop in my linkage. I assume I could take most of it out, if needed. And you can get used to the racing pattern quickly (1st is spring loaded to the left and down and I do tend to double-clutch it at lights when I have to use 1st).
4. Fun? I'd sell my 84 before the 68. They're nimble (SWB and all) and surprisingly quick. Remember, these are seriously light to begin with. A 993 may run away from you leaving a light, but in the curves, they'll keep up with anything. Did I tell you about the Saturday we took a spirited drive down some rural roads? I was following a 993 Targa...
Thanks for the response - I am impressed, North Dakota winters must be even worse than San Diego winters.

Yes, it's the light weight (and pre-smog) that appeals to me. I've owned one carb car in my life (MGB), so I'll be letting a the local Porsche gods set it up before I take any long drives.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:07 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Then it must be that the video game "Need for Speed 5 - Porsche Unleashed" is not very realistic, because a 993 will smoke an early 911.

Or maybe you're just a good driver?
Peter Morgan's book says 8.0 sec 0-62. That really doesn't seem fast. However I know that these engines can be rebuilt to higher spec.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

160 DIN hp, 2270 pounds (empty). The 1967 911S is all about unmolested perfection. The less molested it is, the better it will be. It's a very special car that only a few will appreciate. It will be prone to oversteer, much attention must be given to it while driving anywhere near its limits. It's a fast car, although quirky, and must be treated as such (when I say fast I mean between 4500 and 7200 rpm; which means that, on a road course, if it's kept in its power band, it will be fast). But for it to still be fast today, it has had to have had expert service and must be in great condition. Its gas tank must be clean inside, its carbs must be properly set, its cams must be timed correctly, its ignition distributor must have the correct advance curve, etc. Modifications should be kept to a minimum, the '67S is probably one of purest sports cars ever built. There are probably not a lot of P-car technicians left out there that can appreciate, if not love, the '67S. A PPI is crucial in one of those cars; they can rust, they can be abused, and they can get really, really expensive if they need major repairs. That PPI must be performed by someone who would drop everything just to gaze at the car when it comes within his sight.

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 02-04-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
The less molested it is, the better it will be.
can i fit a 3.6 with PMOs in a SWB ?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Well, OK, but please do it to a '68 Sporto!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:52 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep i'd never bastardise an S!

as you said "perfection"

Old 02-04-2008, 09:17 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
160 DIN hp, 2270 pounds (empty). The 1967 911S is all about unmolested perfection. The less molested it is, the better it will be. It's a very special car that only a few will appreciate. It will be prone to oversteer, much attention must be given to it while driving anywhere near its limits. It's a fast car, although quirky, and must be treated as such (when I say fast I mean between 4500 and 7200 rpm; which means that, on a road course, if it's kept in its power band, it will be fast). But for it to still be fast today, it has had to have had expert service and must be in great condition. Its gas tank must be clean inside, its carbs must be properly set, its cams must be timed correctly, its ignition distributor must have the correct advance curve, etc. Modifications should be kept to a minimum, the '67S is probably one of purest sports cars ever built. There are probably not a lot of P-car technicians left out there that can appreciate, if not love, the '67S. A PPI is crucial in one of those cars; they can rust, they can be abused, and they can get really, really expensive if they need major repairs. That PPI must be performed by someone who would drop everything just to gaze at the car when it comes within his sight.
So, how much should I charge the Porsche tech to do the PPI!

Great post - thank you. I have an old Ferrari on the other side of the garage, so I've seen big bills before. Some cars are worth it, some aren't. I think this one would be worth it.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bullfighter
So, how much should I charge the Porsche tech to do the PPI!
It's almost that way, depends on how many kids/grandkids the tech has !

That said, try to draw a line as to how much rust is acceptable. I, for one, would consider a car OK that had perforations in the suspension mounting pan forward of the gas tank, but I would not buy a car with a deteriorated floor or rear suspension mounting points. I wish you much luck, you have come across a potentially very special car.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bullfighter
Thanks for the response - I am impressed, North Dakota winters must be even worse than San Diego winters.
That's an understatement. Had a 140hp 4-barrel Corvair when I first got my license. Starting procedure at below zero temps are much the same--just pump the h#*% out of it. With the 'Vair, I actually used to reach down and use my hand on the throttle pedal. Ah...the old days!

Part of the reason in getting the '84 was so the '68 can truly be a "nice weather" car and not take any more abuse.

Seriously, the winters are that bad once you get used to them...
Old 02-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,068 Posts

That's an understatement. Had a 140hp 4-barrel Corvair when I first got my license. Starting procedure at below zero temps are much the same--just pump the h#*% out of it. With the 'Vair, I actually used to reach down and use my hand on the throttle pedal. Ah...the old days!

Part of the reason in getting the '84 was so the '68 can truly be a "nice weather" car and not take any more abuse.

Seriously, the winters are that bad once you get used to them...
Shouldn't some of these cars have chokes on them? Not that you need one, since you're right about pumping the $h1t out of it. But I think that only works for carbs that have accelerator pumps??

I removed the choke on my 6.6 liter Chevy Nova, but I could still start the car by pumping it. Same goes for the '49 Chevy truck.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

No chokes on Webers, just good old accel pumps...

Quick Reply: 1967 911 S - real world impressions anyone?