911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

It's just a little thing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Sailmed
Three Wheelin'

Location: In the boatyard installing the mast and engine, we don't need a crane, we harness the mesquito's! Yeah!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's just a little thing...

The '77 2.7 rebuild is finally done.
I never throw out anything from the garage during a rebuild - I mean anything!
I will have garbage bags stacked in the corner, but never throw any out until the engine is done. I'm constantly cleaning and hanging on to the garbage - it's a habit from building engines on boats in 3rd world countries. I've scooped up a little dirty part (small nut, washer, what have you) by mistake on more than one occasion. I've had my share of small island arguements...
Aye mon - whats chew doin der - dat be my gar-badge mon

My kids had started a bi-weekly habit ( on allowance day ) of sweeping the shark cave floor. OK - I can deal with this - but they cleaned my re-build bench and they also threw out the garbage!
Missing parts from the rebuild that I replaced were;
Head bolt nuts and washers, cam guide bolt, wrist pin clips, oil cooler seals, etc!
They took the hint when I said "never again!"
So I'm feeling great - I'm done - the 2.7 is finally ready to go back in after I freshen up the "arrest me red" in the booth.

I had finished a 48 hr shift yesterday with only 2 hours sleep. I know better than to do anything other then clean so I'm out in the garage unwinding with a rum and coke. The 2.7 is together, time to clean....
Now I know most men don't just stand and admire a beautiful engine for an hour - but I do - I am thinking of all the work I've done - the trials and tribulations, the time spent porting and polishing heads, polishing pistons, assembling 4 or 5 times repeatedly to clearance, gaining perfection, polishing the spider....
Ya - I know - it's only a 2.7 - but I think people give them a bad rap because most don't know how to rebuild them. If the case work is done and they are rebuilt proper, I think they are a great engine!
Anyway....
My son came looking for me to see if I was OK...
He walks in, points to all the hand painted details and ask "can anyone see this when it's installed?".
"No - But we can now - and that's enough"

So I'm going thru all the old baggies and about to toss the old sparkplugs...
On one of the plugs is a cam gear set pin Ouch
It's just a little thing..
I know what my project is Tuesday
Old 02-03-2008, 08:36 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OUCH!!!!!!!!

Best of luck,
Old 02-04-2008, 10:29 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

yeah but the plug is a great tool isn't it !!! :-)

Quick Reply: It's just a little thing...