Ignition Key Pin Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 03:30 PM
train engineer
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Key Pin Out

1980 SC.

Here is my deal...I've got a really sweet short, across the positive and negative battery cables, about 6 ohms.

In the process of tracing and tracking down, I have replaced a few components: starter, alternator, battery... and have had the car pretty far apart.

Right now my game plan is to back up and punt, so I want to go back and make sure that everything is correct.

What I am looking for is a pin out of the ignition key. What wires go where in the plug on the backside of the key. I want to make sure that I don't have aone crossed up somewhere.

Any help
Old 02-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Sailmed
Three Wheelin'

Location: In the boatyard installing the mast and engine, we don't need a crane, we harness the mesquito's! Yeah!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a schematic at work - however one thing I can definitly recommend is a DC clamp over amp meter - Time is precious in life. While throwing money at it until it works might be ok for some people - I'd rather throw money at the right tools for the situation.
This would allow you to find what causes the power draw.
http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-sr-cm600.html
or anything simular
Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 AM
train engineer
4th Gear

sweet. thanks, car works great now.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Sailmed
Three Wheelin'

Location: In the boatyard installing the mast and engine, we don't need a crane, we harness the mesquito's! Yeah!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by train engineer
sweet. thanks, car works great now.
And the problem was.......?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 AM
train engineer
4th Gear

With 6ohms between the positive cables and ground it makes it impossible to hook up the battery. It discharges the battery almost instantly. I suppose I could run some voltage to the car and look for where the smoke comes out.

Just looking for a ignition key pin out, and possibly one of the fuse panel as well.

There are three wires in the key with resistance between ground being less than 100 ohms. The sum of these in parallel gives me the 6 ohms I see at the battery.

Yellow off of key about 100 ohms
Red/BLk off of key about 12 ohms
Theres one more but I can't remember the wire color off the top of my head, I'll post it up when I make it to the shop in the morning. I believe it was about 20 ohms.

Quick Reply: Ignition Key Pin Out