Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My night.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default My night.......

Well, I got invited to a 'Change of Command' ceremony at my old unit. Blah blah blah, the evening passed. I go to drive a friend home.......well the door won't close. Some water must have gotten in the mechanism and froze. I got my passenger to hold the door close as we drive. I drop him off. Now I have to hold the door closed while I drive. So I wrap the seat belt around the door handle and hold on to it. I held it with my right hand and shifted with my left. Now that was interesting. I also learned how heavy that door can get in a corner.

Anyways, today I held the hair dryer on the area for 5 min and it worked. I then dook the door panel off and lubed everything. I will have to do that for the other side as well. As always, nothing ever goes wrong on a car when it is warm and sunny out. Temperature last night and this morning: -10C, -20C with the wind.

Lesson: If you get the chance, lube everything in there.

-matt
Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

All that I can say, after spending Christmas in Forest Lake, MN, is brrrrrrr!

Great solution to use the seat belt! I'm good at left hand shifting, my right shoulder has been operated on so many times that the left one is the only one that works every day!
Old 01-31-2008, 05:02 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know...it doesn't sound that bad to me.

Of course, that's in comparison to yesterday when we had a "high" of -9F/-23C, a low of -25F/-32C and wind chills in the -50F/-46C range. Seriously!

Gotta love it!

(...waiting for the day I can take the p-cars out again!).
Old 01-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, compared to Fargo, Forest Lake was actually kind of...balmy!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:09 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rgrimm
Of course, that's in comparison to yesterday when we had a "high" of -9F/-23C, a low of -25F/-32C and wind chills in the -50F/-46C range. Seriously!
so umm you live at the north pole do you?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:18 PM
old man neri
Drifting

I know the temperature is nothing compared to the deep freeze that is going on right now in the praries. However, it still does suck messing around with little fasteners and sitting on concrete in the cold. Had it been a beautiful spring day it wouldn't of been as bad. That's all I was saying, I know it could have been worse but I do enjoy to complain.

-matt
Old 01-31-2008, 07:24 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by JV911
so umm you live at the north pole do you?
There is a bit of a deep freeze going on in the praries of North America. Currently Whitehorse, Yk is reporting -38, and that's without the wind. On the plus side my parents are right now in your town hopefully enjoying warmer weather.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:33 PM
JABSEA
Instructor

Whitehorse... Had an engine blow up while going up the Alcan in 1971 and got towed 100 miles to Whitehorse. While waiting a week to have an engine flown up from Seattle, got to know a couple of women there. They told me they don't shut the schools down until it gets about -45. It's all about adjusting to where you're at...
Old 01-31-2008, 08:06 PM
JV911
Drifting

Originally Posted by old man neri
There is a bit of a deep freeze going on in the praries of North America. Currently Whitehorse, Yk is reporting -38, and that's without the wind. On the plus side my parents are right now in your town hopefully enjoying warmer weather.
Jebus that's cold!

weather in sydney is crappy today - raining and humid. 21C 70F
Old 02-01-2008, 07:28 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
Brr

Supposed to be near 60 down here for the next couple of days

John
Old 02-03-2008, 12:06 PM
JES1680
Instructor

That happened to me in my 63 Bel Air coupe many many years ago. Although I wasn't thinking too clearly (early moring comming home from a party), and tied a rope to from the door handle then around my waist. That first right hand turn was an eyeopener for sure as I was almost yanked out of the car
Ahh..... youth and booze a bad combination.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

While growing up in Alaska, I drove this piece of crap VW bug. It worked well in the snow and ice except when snow melted into the clutch cable tube and then re-froze.

I had a very interesting drive home that evening w/o a clutch and found myself under the car at about -20°F w/ a heatgun trying to melt the ice the next day. I then poured a can of heet (fuel additive that absorbs water) into the tube.

I had to route a plastic tube behind the motor and point it at the clutch tube then slowly pour in into the far end because there wasn't enough room to tip the bottle under the car. Good times!
OHH.... the good ol' days!
+++
Old 02-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

76 degrees and breezy in Houston today. I am SO glad I moved south three years ago! I dont miss the NY winters at all.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:34 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

My sister had a 68 bug that went clutchless one winter. Get the revs right and shifting was smooth, easy and grind-less.

Now, a standing start into first was a trick. You step on the gas, just a bit, lift your foot, and as the revs drop, somewhere, oh, a couple or few hundred rpm above idle, jam it! The car would lurch forward, wouldn't stall, and not too much abuse on the gear box, judging by a 16year old's naive notion of "it doesn't sound too bad..."

We all loved that car. Took hours for the heater to show any signs of...heat, Manitoba winters, temperatures in the -20's C. The ice scraper saw more use on the inside of the windshield than the outside.

Those were the days.

That car is surely one of the reasons I love my 911!

[As I reflect on this note, it is apparent to me that soon my reminiscences will become completely psychotic, and I will truly become just like my own parents.]

Brent
Old 02-04-2008, 07:32 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by WitchDoctor
My sister had a 68 bug that went clutchless one winter. Get the revs right and shifting was smooth, easy and grind-less.

Now, a standing start into first was a trick. You step on the gas, just a bit, lift your foot, and as the revs drop, somewhere, oh, a couple or few hundred rpm above idle, jam it! The car would lurch forward, wouldn't stall, and not too much abuse on the gear box, judging by a 16year old's naive notion of "it doesn't sound too bad..."

We all loved that car. Took hours for the heater to show any signs of...heat, Manitoba winters, temperatures in the -20's C. The ice scraper saw more use on the inside of the windshield than the outside.

Those were the days.

That car is surely one of the reasons I love my 911!

[As I reflect on this note, it is apparent to me that soon my reminiscences will become completely psychotic, and I will truly become just like my own parents.]

Brent

Brent,
I did the exact same thing with my '66 Beetle. I also blame my 911 fascination on my early years with a Type 1

Andreas

Quick Reply: My night.......