Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Price reduction, or...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Price reduction, or...

...reality check? I've lowered the asking price for my '82 SC, please review my ad in the Rennlist classifieds. It's currently on page 5 of the car ads, approximately ad #123. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2008, 01:17 PM
dsmith
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on, Pete, nobody is going to want to confront this, but I will.
Price and condition it what sells anything, so...
I see:
-ownership that makes the odds of truth in marketing very good
-very good cosmetic condition
-high mileage
-no a/c
-worst time in a long time to be selling such a car

I guess, as a buyer, I would have to somehow be convinced that this isn't a $10k-$13k car.

Best of luck. Not that it's a great comparison, but I sold mine ('83) for $8k, questionable motor issue, and $8k of new parts.
David
Old 01-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pete, Put that car in Carlsbad, Oceanside, or outside Hotel Del Coronado, and it would be gone in a day. In fact, I'll drive it down there for you myself. Just think what you could get for it in Europe right now.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:36 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Here's a link to the ad.

http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval

Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Pete, I gotta second the timing thing.

Also, I would trust a car you were selling over someone else to be sure, but the uninitiated are likely looking for G50 cars in that price range, or SCs that will have far lower miles.

Unless you find someone who KNOWS who you are (in which case YOU become a marketable part of the car... consider "free autographed copy of my book, 'The Used 911 Story'", etc.), you're posting a car that other outlets are saying to move up to a 3.2L for that price range on.

Anyway, most sincere best of luck again with the sale.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Just from limited experience thus far, right now is a terrible time to sell a 911. One dealer I spoke with this week told me he has only sold 2 911's in three years. The other thing is the price, in my opinion it is a little high for a car with 203,000 miles even though it is excellent condition. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the thoughts/comments! I've weighed the mileage against work performed (much of which will need to be done on the typical, $12K, 150,000 mile car). That said, I have a hunch that you're correct regarding timing, people seem to have stopped buying toys and have moved into a wait-and-see mode to see where the economy is going. Fortunately I don't have to sell this car, and I will continue to try to negotiate a purchase of the world's oldest 912 (a rust-free Euro car owned by the Porsche family for the first year of its life), at which point working out nighttime parking will get difficult.

douglas: I have thought about placing an ad in the L.A. Times, I don't think they've listed a quality SC in a very long time!

It's funny, Bakersfield is certainly not a hot bed for sports cars, especially Porsches, but 3.2 G 50 cars, on the rare occasion that they appear in our paper, are always over $20K, and SCs (one crappy 160K mile Targa with Limo-tint windows currently advertised for $10K) run the full spectrum from $8K - $19K. Go figure! I'm just using Rennlist in the hope of avoiding the looky-lou situation, as well as the 11:30 pm phone calls!
Old 01-31-2008, 02:13 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Pete, a question that a Porsche newbie might also have, I did not see anywhere the engine type/size listed? I might have not seen it, but this could pose a possible problem/question? Most people that either know you or know of you, and your car and background, already have a 911. I know this would be a nice ride! Good luck with the sale!! Tony.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Whoops! My bad, I just assumed that readers would think that the engine is original to the car, and 3.0 liters displacement...which it is!
Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I would put it on ebay - maybe not for the sales - but for the exposure.

I would also put it on craigslist.

I would also list on the PCA Mart. Hype up your name Pete - it's not everybody that writes a great book on 911's.

I would also have some high resolution pictures (you need one from straight on) - and take some digital video of the car running. Have em sorted in a folder for easy emailing.

What type are the seats? What dimensions are the wheels? 6's and 7's?

It shows new camshafts, was a top end done at the same time? and at what mileage?

I think you need to show some undercarriage pictures - (someone from europe may not know that Bakersfield is warm and dry)

Anyway - just my opinion -
Old 01-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Jeremy: Great points, all of which will be considered! I never considered taking a couple of belly pictures, and, yes, the wheels are the original 6x16/7x16s. It's really amusing to think that 8100 miles/year is usually considered low or, at the most, medium-level miles (203,000/25 years), but cumulatively they become high mileage. Let's see, if I keep the car another 10 years, and only drive it 1K miles/year, will it still be high mileage at 213K miles (an average of only 6100/year)? Hmmmmm... Maybe I'll schedule an adventure and take it to Barrett-Jackson in AZ next January!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pete, don't you know a good speedo shop?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I am going step up and put a plug in for the seller (not that he needs it) .......

In 1995 I bought Pete’s 77 930 and I really wasn't even in the market for a 930. I got a call from Pete one day and he said “ I am thinking about selling the 930 and wanted to give you a chance to buy it.” I did….I sold my 1973.5 sunroof coupe that I had just finished restoring to buy his car. While hindsight is 20-20 and financially I would have done better holding on to the 911, the 930 has been an amazing car over the last 13 years and since, I have never had to dropped the engine for anything ( knock on wood) . The only reason I bought a 930 was PETER ZIMMERMANN OWNED IT !! I knew the car was meticulously maintained and not abused like so many 930's. Having known Pete for many years, seeing the work he and Mike used to do at his shop in Santa Monica, I can tell you that when it comes to maintaining a Porsche of any sort, he's is the guy you would want to buy a 911 from. His ownership / care are worth a premium.....even in this market. We all benefit from Pete's advice on this board, the best advertising we can do is to use this network of Porsche owners and introduce a new owner the world of 911's. This would be a great car for the first time owner.....

Good luck with the sale Pete.

Steve
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

douglas: You, unlike Steve, are sooooo bad!

Steve, on the other hand, will receive his check in the next couple of days!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:22 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Hold onto it Pete until you get what "you" think its worth. There are not many SC's out there in good condition both body and mechanical. I'm not in the market to sell mine but if I was it would be higher than yours, but I do have half the miles you have.

If I knew of anyone that was looking I would definitely pimp your car because i know its in great shape. If you end up selling that car for less than it is now....someone is getting a HELL of a deal. The ones who say people in this price range are looking for 3.2 cars are going to cry when these SC's pass these 3.2's in price. It will happen.

Quick Reply: Price reduction, or...