Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Price reduction, or...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,128 Likes on 807 Posts

besides ..... what does HE know .. irregardless isn't even a word !!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
OhioMark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct: It's regardless!

Mark
Old 02-15-2008, 06:54 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Pete, I think you said it best when you stated you would hold off for now if it did not sell. Unless you really have to unload the car for quick cash, holding out would be best.

I still dont know where some of these people are coming from. I am seeing prices for these cars way up there. Even looking at the last few Panrama's and my local PCA monthly mag, the prices are all in the high teens/low tweenties.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So true, flatsix. When you consult Mr. David Kinney's "Cars That Matter", you find that he's priced a condition #3 '82 SC coupe at $14K, and a condition #2 at $21K. Using his chart my car is definitely a condition #2, at the worst a 2 minus, but certainly better than a #3. I figure that puts my car at exactly the right price, at $17K. People that know Porsche 911s are aware that their chassis, when not exposed to harsh environments or abusive treatment, just don't deteriorate. The underside of my car, like many, many CA, AZ, NV, etc. cars, looks like a very young car. People in the rust belt don't realize how bad some of their cars are until they need a torch to take an exhaust part or a brake caliper off. I've driven many of those $10-12K SCs, and for the most part those are the cars that are overpriced. Many Targas, even some coupes, are loose, almost all of the cars in that price range have cracked/shrunk dashboards, most have stained/torn headliners, sagging sun visors, sunroofs that don't work, most need shocks, maybe a clutch replacement, trunk carpet is badly deteriorated, the battery compartment is a mess, the T/S switch won't control the high beams, the ignition switch sticks, the tires are mismatched, badly worn or el cheapos from Taiwan, alignment is out of spec, and on and on. My car drives as new, and if it doesn't sell this time around, I certainly won't suffer and will still have it to drive! You can bet that I'm not planning on hurting the value of all the good SCs out there by giving the car away to someone "because it has 200K miles" on it!

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 02-15-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
People in the rust belt don't realize how bad some of their cars are until they need a torch to take an exhaust part or a brake caliper off.
You mean there is another way?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I remember last summer when Gary R sold an SC for $14,000. He posted it and got a bunch of calls that day. The very first guy that looked at it (a fellow rennlister) took the car home that day. Gary was happy with the money, but I'm sure he could have been a little higher and still had it gone in a week.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

okay hold on their just a second :-)
Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What?
Old 02-16-2008, 12:32 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I have perfectly completely rusted out heat exchanger if anyone wants one .... problem is it won't come off the car :-)
Old 02-16-2008, 06:11 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

Pete,
if only you could sell the car over here in the UK, you'd clean up. Easily $30,000
its very rare to see an SC go for less than $18,000, and most cars I've seen for less than this has been rough, rusty or just complete dogs.
A really nice SC in the UK is round about $30,000
Old 02-16-2008, 10:31 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the use of the word "irregardless"... it is in fact a recognized, though less proper version of "regardless." Both have been used in print, I prefer the former .

Guys, I am not trying to be negative and kill the optimism here, just being realistic. Using porsche/Excellence guides to bolster the 911 SC value is optimistic at best. Good luck selling at those prices...

Fox Valley Motorcars had some nice 911 SC targas in the recent past, low mileage (<100,000), and they barely got $14,000 for it. I have seen many cars here, in the midwest, that were totally pristine - they are not all "rust buckets."

I have had a few porsches in the recent past (911s '76/944 turbo/996/914 '73 /Boxster S etc), and love the cars. I also know that every car was bought way below what excellence claimed they were going for.

Lately I have been on the ferrari sites, and there are parallels. There is a mileage, for each model, after which its value plummets (whether deservedly or not).

Many view a ferrari with over 50,000 miles as un-sellable ... at least at a reasonable price. 100,000 miles and it would have to be passed onto your kin .

SC's are more durable. 100,000 - 125,000 miles is still reasonable. But I have got to tell you, 200,000 miles plus puts you in rare territory. I would hazard that 99% of SC buyers wouldn't consider this car, and that effects your pricing. Thats just a simple reality.

Peter, I wish you the best. But you did ask "Is it the price, or ????" And I am telling you, that it likely is. The condition of the car may be a 2+... but its an unrestored 2+, and mileage matters. I believe that your car is in great condition, but I am reflecting how the market in general appraises cars.

Either way, I apologize if I offended anyone. But I suspect my opinion is reflective of the truth. Either way, good luck ... it should be warming up soon and that will help!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

bpu: Actually, I don't go anywhere near Excellence or other Porsche-specific price guides, preferring to stay closer to the already mentioned Cars That Matter, and SCM (Sports Car Market magazine), two sources that crunch real numbers from real sales and have no pro-Porsche agenda.

Regarding "rust buckets", I didn't mean to imply that, there is a great difference between a pre-'76 rust bucket, complete with perforations, and a '76> car that's been used in the rust belt and will experience far greater labor time to carry out routine repairs or service.

For the record, older Ferraris are junk compared to a typical SC, have you ever driven a 512 or a Mondial? Sheeeesh..., apples and oranges.

Everything that I posted in #64 is absolutely accurate seen through my eyes. You mention "restored" cars, are you saying that an "un-restored" condition #2 car is not as good as a "restored" condition #2 car? What is restored, anyway. Is it a re-paint with original interior, is it original paint with new interior, is it both? You obviously haven't driven as many "restored" cars as I have. Cars with rattles and an overall loudness because of incorrect or missing sound-deadening. Cars that feel loose because they're pretty, but have had no suspension work done as it was needed. Cars that don't develop correct power because the cams aren't timed right, or the combustion chamber clearances aren't correct, or...fill in the blanks. Cars that have had incorrect/aftermarket parts used to complete them...

Please be aware that I would have responded to your post even if it concerned someone else's car advertised, instead of my own. I've posted about the way my car is priced, if the economy is such that it won't sell at that price, so be it.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:10 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

The radom person that comes here on these forums and posts questions like...what about this car?, is it worth it?....really has no clue about older 911s.

I believe that for the most part, people who are in the market for an older 911 know exactly what they are looking for, and they have done their homework on the car. That being said...I think that most potential buyers would be quicker to jump on a mechanically sound car "irregardless" of mileage instead of buying a car that just looks good.

I know that when I was looking at cars to buy I sat in some pretty neglected 991s. It was my observation that the cars that had higher mileage were actually better taken care of. This makes since bcause if a car is not taken care of it wont see alot of use, but if a car is well maintained it will be used more often and for longer trips, thus gaining more mileage.

Also I dont think you can compare Targa/Cab prices to Coupe' prices. Not to offend anyone here, but coupes get higher resale prices. I wish mine did not have a sunroof, but at least it works perfect.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:30 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

you people think too much
the reality is obvious, isn't it Pete.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Have you seen the asking prices of mid-year Carreras on the PCA Mart

1975 911 Carrera coupe, 120,000 miles $39,000

1975 all original numbers matching Carrera 2.7 (ROW). This car came factory with the 911-83 engine type of the RS. It is a matching car with Porsche CoA.
Mostly unrestored and solid driver.
80,000 miles
Bargain at US$ 59900
Car is located in Germany

John

Quick Reply: Price reduction, or...