Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Removal of 911SC rear engine mount bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:13 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of 911SC rear engine mount bolts

Dropped the engine and trans from the 1983 SC and had huge problems with the bolts in the rear engine mount bar/spring. Because this is not a nut and bolt deal but a bolt into the tapped mount, they were frozen. Soaked them with break free and that did not work. Heat seems the only solution, and not a good one. Ended up breaking both sides.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jake: I've encountered that, my best guess is that they were put in, by the last guy, with an impact wrench. My shop actually stocked a replacement "spear," (aka cross mount) and a pair of new bolts. Torque spec for the new outboard bolts is 65 lb/ft...
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that MANY of us have had problems due to others that have worked on our cars. I would like to think that a current owner, in a Perfect Porsche World, would not leave a ticking bomb to have to deal with later on, but I then look at the real facts of ownership, a lot of owners do not do their own servicing or repairs, either due to inexperience, time, ability, or they just don't want to get their hands dirty. Just my $0.03

Quick Reply: Removal of 911SC rear engine mount bolts