Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Gasket replacement on a stored engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 05:40 PM
DougP
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gasket replacement on a stored engine

I recently purchased a 3.3 engine that has been sitting dry about 3 years and will swap with my current engine, which I plan to rebuild.
I am concerned that some of the gaksets my be dried out and susceptible to leaking.
Other than the obvious head gaskets does anyone have any recomendations about other gaskets that should be replaced prior in installation?
Thanks
Old 02-23-2003, 09:32 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its not clear what all needs to be done to the motor to prep it to run again, but it certainly depends on how it was stored. Gaskets and seals being pretty low in the pecking order IMHO.

That said, if you can see any obvious leaks seals with the motor sitting up now, it might make sense to replace these. I would also suspect valve cover gaskets will be hard and seeping, you'll know very little else until the motor is operating at temperature and with oil pressure.

There are a lot of places on a 911 motor that are historically leak prone that may or may not need immediate attention, all of which have been discussed from time to time on threads of this forum.

A search should surface these for you as to what you might expect, and the level of effort needed to rectify.

Quick Reply: Gasket replacement on a stored engine