Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

OT...Are you experiencing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default OT...Are you experiencing...

...long delays and slow access to topics on Rennlist, or is it just my computer? I have AT&T High Speed, a contemporary Dell laptop, and have been using Mozilla Firefox... ...this is something relatively new, maybe over the last couple of weeks.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am accessing it just fine Pete However, I could use some of your wise knowledge right about now. I just ran into something that might be a big boo boo on my car.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Send me a pm, or post the problem here... I'll be back on line at about 2:00 pm...
Old 01-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Well 1. I still hear ticking when my car gets up to operating temp (which lately seems to be higher than what it used to be, its not a little above the first line, used to never get above the first line). I would expecting ticking to decrease as temperature increases but who knows. I felt like there was so much drag on those blades that there would be no way that my valves are loose, I think I need to listen to another car. Anyway the big problem is that after switching to Brad Penn oil, my car has developed a leak!! It is peeing on my driveway I warmed it up to full temp and its dripping, now I dont know how dangerous it is....its not dripping too much but definitely drops. It looks like it is coming from a seal that connects the crankcase to the passenger side cam housing near the muffler. I get about a quarter size oil stain before the engine cools down and stops dripping. I am going to wipe it down and drive it again, maybe the oil was there on the outside to begin with. I am more concerned with my valves, I dont know why but I feel like I am freaking out. If the valves were too tight would I hear something nasty like my valves burning? I dont see how it could be too tight though I went through it a few times. I would think that the clearance would have too be significantly too tight for there to be any real danger.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
...long delays and slow access to topics on Rennlist, or is it just my computer? I have AT&T High Speed, a contemporary Dell laptop, and have been using Mozilla Firefox... ...this is something relatively new, maybe over the last couple of weeks.
Hey Pete:

I too, have experienced some periods of slow access. I think its the Internet.

Make sure that you've emptied your browser's cache as when that fills with pages you've looked at, EVERYTHING will be slow to download,.. I do that every week.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 01-21-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Make sure that you've emptied your browser's cache as when that fills with pages you've looked at, EVERYTHING will be slow of download,.. I do that every week.
Ah, hah! I will take care of that, thank you!

Oshin: Your oil leak - is it dripping from the lowest point of the timing chain housing, on the left side? Also, please refresh my memory, wasn't your engine steam-cleaned lately?

Your tick, tick, tick is really something hard to discuss without hearing. From your description I would have to guess that you still have a loose valve. Think hard, did you complete an adjustment with a buggered gauge shim? Are you absolutely sure that you had the engine on the correct crank pulley mark for every adjustment? The three rockers behind the cat can be a little tricky to get to, can you identify the tick with a stethoscope (or long, thin screwdriver placed between your ear at the handle and the tip on a cover)?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

People are complaining on Pelican as well. Must be the internet.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

think about it....It's MLK day....every kid in the country is off school today surfing the net, alone, unsupervised, curious, alone, by them selves, just wandering around taking up space, alone.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:24 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Internet goes fast, internet goes slow. It's like the weather; sometimes is sunny and sometimes it's snowing.

I have an older router at my parents house and I notice from time to time it just suddenly gets slow. The router needs to be rebooted.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Pete: I hope the picture helps you see where the leak is coming from, its just a few drops. As far as the valves go, I went through 15 feeler guages, every time it got a kink I put a new one. The hard part is that for the exhaust valves, the valve stem is pushed further in than the black circular seat so it is really tough to work it. I think it is the intake valves that are being noisy but since the engine is made of metal, after all, the noise could just be reverberating throughout the engine. When I use my stethoscope every valve sounds the same....I hear ticking but I assume there should be some ticking, especially with a stethoscope. I guess I would have to listen to someone else's properly adjusted engine. I will say this though, I no longer hear the ticking while sitting in the driver's seat driving. It has been significantly reduced since the first time I did the adjustment using the backside method.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On another OT Topic just for fun... I saw more than 200 fully armored Hummers riding piggy back on a train passing by the Ontario Airport this morning. They looked Brand new, identical to one another, and ready for war. they must have been coming out of 29 Palms. the strange part was that they were in dark green camo not the usual sand tan we have been seeing the last fiew years.

Of course the USMC may not have been the end user. I didn't see any markings and I was 30 feet away.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Whoops posting the picture would help DOH!
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

my leaking chain box to cam tower oring ends up at the bottom of the chain box like yours
Old 01-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Oshin: Your car has enough time/miles to definitely consider ice's post. Before wiping it clean next time, crawl under and see if the oil is coming down from the place where the chain housing meets the cam tower. There is an o-ring at that point, and it can leak...
Old 01-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I have cleaned it and I am sure it is coming from where I pointed to.

Quick Reply: OT...Are you experiencing...