Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

occasional smell of rotten eggs

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

joey: Have an assistant hold your revs at about 2500 (warm engine) for about a half a minute while you are watching your meter. I can almost guarantee that you will see a voltage spike, maybe as high as 17v...

Stand to the side of your car and look over the fender, never stand in front of the car for this test!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kick7ca
Is this a private problem? Why not share an informative reply on the thread so that others may benefit?
Was not private, just too much to type...long story. But at this point everything we talked about has been pretty much covered by numerous posters so no worries.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It's a good idea to check the "new" voltage regulator as well. Occasionally you can get one out of spec and you don't solve your problem. (Ask me how I know,--and how I got a new one AND a new battery!)
Old 01-22-2008, 06:15 PM
joey c
Pro

had it checked out by the wrench...everything is fine..he said it was the cat..i plan to put a bypass pipe in anyhow so no worries..thanks guys,j
Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Gee, it seems like I read that somewhere.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:17 PM
kick7ca
Advanced

Originally Posted by Oshin11
Was not private, just too much to type...long story. But at this point everything we talked about has been pretty much covered by numerous posters so no worries.
Right you are.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

joey: It's a week of "very unusuals..."! I am aware that cats can smell like rotten eggs, especially after leaded fuel has been introduced to the system, but I've been servicing/repairing 3.2 liter cars since they were new (almost daily from '85-99), and I've never seen a cat from one produce that symptom...
Old 01-23-2008, 07:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

put your bypass .. on .. and then when you smell it again ......
Old 01-24-2008, 03:56 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Cool "ROTTEN EGG SMELL"

This question is just to see if anyone has ever experienced this while driving before.

Have you ever been passed by, or have been driving behind a car that had the "rotten egg smell" or if you like, the hydrogen sulfide odor?

Do you really think that you are smelling their little battery being overcharged, or do you associate the odor with the exhaust being spewed out?

It is true that a battery can "cook off" due to a faulty voltage regulator or
charging circuit.

It is also true that a catalytic can become contaminated or "poisoned" , by several things, fuel mixture too rich, mis-firing spark plugs, fouled gas, burnt exhaust valves, oil burning, the wrong type of fuel additives and sealants, the extensive use of leaded gasoline(this is not one of the chief causes now, being leaded fuel is not normally available for automobiles), a faulty fuel management system, a bad O2 sensor, and a vast number of other problems, including incorrect catalytic converter operating temps.

If you suspect that the battery is getting cooked off, after you smell the odor, you can stop the engine, pop the hood and check to see if the sides of the battery are hotter than normal.

The "rotten egg smell" has been addressed in many TSB from almost all automobile makers, since the cats have been in use.
Just some additional information.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

...and perhaps my personal experience is what it is because CA led the nation in cutting back the sulfur content in gasoline, when those requirements came on the scene. In the mid '90s Los Angeles, my stomping grounds and the location of my shop, led the nation with the lowest fuel sulfur levels, one of the biggest contributors to the rotten egg smell produced by cats. The other leading contributor to the smell is an improperly adjusted fuel/air mixture - something that's quite difficult on a 3.2 liter car without having other symptoms. The combination, or lack of, those two causes is most likely the reason for me to not have had to deal with cats that smell like rotten eggs - I dealt with well tuned cars that used low-sulfer content gasolines. The reality is that the situation might have been quite different in other parts of the country...I can only speak for SoCal. Here, a rotten egg smell noticed while driving means a faulty v. regulator overcharging/cooking the battery.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:03 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

I know nothing about 911's but could another possibility be transmission fluid or even the clutch. Both of those stink like the OP described.

Quick Reply: occasional smell of rotten eggs