911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine oil for 1987 3.2 C2

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008 | 11:54 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

My 911 was dry (after fixing all the leaks) and it only started leaking BP again after sitting without being driven for over a month. :-( But it's been my same experience with every other oil prior to BP, with exception of GTX - i've spent a lot fixing little leaks!
Old 01-18-2008 | 12:45 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

In this month's Excellence, there is an oil guide especially for older, air-cooled Porsches. It's about time they included this, with a lot of new finding in the last 3 years with oils changing their formulas.

With regard to 911s leaking - they all do it, over time, regardless of which oil you run - although an oil change can trigger these things - I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can spend time and money getting these things to stop leaking, but eventually, your 911 will start dripping oil slowly once again.
Old 01-18-2008 | 01:24 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by old man neri
I used some Elf synthetic for various reasons, some of them logistical. I still have a quart left so I will try to get a virgin oil analysis and a used oil analysis when I have the chance and I am getting close to an oil change. I will post the results that way everyone can make fun of me for having the wrong amount whatever mineral is the flavour of the month.
I, for one would be interested in hearing about your use of the ELF product. My wrench suggested it as an alternative to the ever popular BP or SWEPCO 306 (both if which neighbor Steve W suggests).

I think the real question is what kind of washer fluid to use. I did an analysis of mine and I am quite concerned at the lack of Teflon particles, I am worried it might cause premature wiper to windshield wear and might require a complete wiper rebuild. Thoughts? Maybe I will make this into a separate thread for fun. OP, your original question was a very valid one that many have asked, including myself, I hope that you found the answer you were looking for.
Funny you bring this up. Just yesterday, i spent some time in the windshield washer aisle at my FLAPS. Boy, are the choices overwhelming. Should I just go low buck, get one of the fancy brands (in a more appealing color) or just screw it and go with Rain-X. Oddly, after many hours of research on the web, I was unable to decide and just ended up with the cheap stuff. You don't think it will melt my windshield and make my j*****n weak do you?

Founder of the Ultimate Motor Oil Thread or Why we hate CJ4/SM oil thread.
Old 01-18-2008 | 02:43 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Harry, Clearly, you must produce your own washer fluid. Now, get that distillery going so you can make the Winter Blend.
Old 01-18-2008 | 03:28 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ked
Harry, Clearly, you must produce your own washer fluid. Now, get that distillery going so you can make the Winter Blend.
sigh.... I was going to do that (I have a degree in Chemical Engineering) but with the new E10 mandate here in Oregon, my source of corn to make alcohol has "dried up" since the E10 boyz want to pay more than I am willing.
Old 01-18-2008 | 05:57 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by HarryD
I

Funny you bring this up. Just yesterday, i spent some time in the windshield washer aisle at my FLAPS. Boy, are the choices overwhelming. Should I just go low buck, get one of the fancy brands (in a more appealing color) or just screw it and go with Rain-X. Oddly, after many hours of research on the web, I was unable to decide and just ended up with the cheap stuff. You don't think it will melt my windshield and make my j*****n weak do you?
Honestly, don't get the cheap stuff. I found that the really cheap no name discount stuff sometimes frosts on the windshield at high speeds. That is to say that you will use it and then a few seconds later it will just instantly turn to frost and obscure your vision as oppose to just evaporating off. I think it separates or something. And yes, I use the rain-x
Old 01-18-2008 | 10:52 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
My 911 was dry (after fixing all the leaks) and it only started leaking BP again after sitting without being driven for over a month. :-( But it's been my same experience with every other oil prior to BP, with exception of GTX - i've spent a lot fixing little leaks!
I bought a case of BP from Charles last year. Prior to using the BP I was using Valvoline VR1 20W-50. At the time my 16,500 mile '89 Carrera was dry. Since using the BP which has been in the engine for about 1,000 miles. I now have a slight weeping from the drivers side chain case cover gasket. After 100 or so miles of driving there will be a small drop on the lower edge of the housing.

Hopefully there will be no other leaks. I'm happy with the BP...better hot oil pressure, decreased oil consumption (looks like its about 1200-1300 miles per quart).

David

Quick Reply: Engine oil for 1987 3.2 C2