Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hester

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hester
Excellence is running a five-page, five picture, story about Hester in its August edition.
congrats!
Old 06-03-2008, 01:29 PM
1303RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hester,
What an awsome story, I read about it in Excellence. Congrats!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:23 AM
Antony.
Instructor

I saw that the other day. It's a great story, I knew I'd seen that car somewhere before. Pretty cool!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Donald, Great story!!! Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:54 PM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Got my Excellence last week- Cool car, and a great story.

Congrats!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:16 AM
shipard
Advanced

Hey Hester,

Its been a long time good to see your back, and looks like you've been having fun with your car.

Mine has just arrived, looks like the fun begins.........going to do a baseline service, by that i mean change all fluids, filters etc.

Anything new with your car ? besides the recent drive ?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Hester
Instructor

No. I'm just saving up for my next tank of gas. She has been sitting in the garage under the cover for the last two weeks. I will try to make some time to take her for a drive this weekend. It is going to get warm here pretty soon and I won't feel like driving or wrenching. Owning a classic car is really not all that exciting.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hester
No..... Owning a classic car is really not all that exciting.
THAT was tounge in cheek, if I ever saw it.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:06 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very true Hester,,,,probably NOT tongue in cheek at all.

However, to say the same about driving the classic car, would be an outright lie.

Nice writeup!!

Best,
Old 06-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Come on! Even up to my eyeballs in intake manifold nightmare I loved my car. Even trying to do the head temp sensor from under the car I loved her. Even when my wife got the $600 credit card charges from Pelican I loved the old girl. She takes me back to the days prior to the pacemaker, children, job, and my grandparents being gone. So my car may not be a classic yet, and I may be way off, but you have to admit to giggling every time you see that car.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Hester
Instructor

Well, what do I say? Being the guardian of Hester's legacy is an enormous responsibility. There are a few factors that take the fun out of owning her:

(1) The car has no dings, not one. Her interior is really clean and she starts and runs like a top. At 75,000 miles, there isn't much room for improvement but there is a whole lot of room for really expensive damage. I won't drive her if I have to park anywhere. I can't bring myself to expose her to the risk that some uncaring jackass might cause her harm, even if inadvertently.

(2) She was not really designed for operation in the 21st Century. The formulation of motor oil and gasoline has changed and will continue to change. I use Brad Penn based on the recommendations of Charles Navarro over at the Pelican site. I use Shell super unleaded even though I know she would probably prefer gasoline with a higher octane rating and no ethanol. I worry about Wayne Dempsey's warning about the increasing scarcity of parts (see http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...=NLA+NOS+Parts)

(3) Driving a car that has a top speed in excess of 140, that is doing 110 at the top of fourth gear, and likes to cruise at 90 in speed restricted Southern California is not so much fun as a responsible adult. Yeah, yeah, yeah, there are race tracks but I am not going to subject Hester to anything that intense. I guess the problem is my heavy right foot and not with the car.

(4) The day after I got her the price of gas started going up.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hester. She means a lot to me, especially because of the circumstances of her acquisition. She is really pretty and very special (see Excellence magazine, August 2008). I really like all of the people that I've met because I have her and I find these bulletin boards very entertaining. Joining the Porsche community has been a great experience. But, when I said that owning a classic car is really not all that exciting, I meant that, the time spent in between driving her is a little dull.

(From the Excellence shoot)
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2008, 06:35 PM
jwilson95
Racer

cool info.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Great Story Donald!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Hester
Instructor

Default A Milestone...

Hester hit a milestone today, just as we were getting home....

Old 06-17-2008, 08:21 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Well I have been on the couch for three days sick with a bad sinus infection. It gave me some catch up time for things I have wanted to read. Not wanting to sound soft or anything, but the story of "Hester" was almost a tear jerker. Now I understand your meaning of "enormous responsibility".

I have joked with my wife about burying me in the car with my hands super-glued to the steering wheel. Now after reading that story...how could I ever be so selfish? Good thing is, with as many true Porsche enthusiasts that there are...I am sure you can find a good home for him when the time comes.

I have room...

Quick Reply: Hester