Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Did 911vet go into her garage for a project and never come out ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008 | 10:38 AM
LUCKe27
Racer

I feel so misunderstood. Doug thinks I was really concerned that vet was lost, instead of my obvious cry for attention by just starting a thread about something. Oshin thinks I was second guessing his mechanical skills, when I have none ... and good ole spence thinks I just like to chat with vet because she's female (he learned quickly from her repsonse that she's just a hoot to chat with). Here's one thing I know for certain. This board is a lot of fun. I also drove to work topless today; a damn good way to start the day. I hope you all have a great one.
Old 01-11-2008 | 11:16 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I'll look for her in Reno tonight. I'm pulling out of here about noon with my brother and four of my kids to go to a BMX National. If she is in Reno, I'll find her.
Old 01-11-2008 | 01:24 PM
OttawaDave
Instructor

Hey Matt, are you in town? Hope you're not stranded here with the P-car and the freezing rain/snow mix today.

....oh, and Doug, please don't tell me about how great your weather has been - I have some favours owed to me by the karma police

Cheers,
Dave
Old 01-11-2008 | 02:51 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by OttawaDave
Hey Matt, are you in town? Hope you're not stranded here with the P-car and the freezing rain/snow mix today.
Yes, yes, and yes. However it is all just melting so it's not big deal. I thought the warm spell was going to last and it was just going to be rain. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

What are you up to these days?
Old 01-11-2008 | 04:28 PM
OttawaDave
Instructor

Yikes, look out for the salt. Make sure she gets a good wash when you get back!

Haven't been up to too much, pretty busy at work. Just back in the routine after the holiday rush. How about you? Doing alot of flying?

...and counting down the days until my car can come out of storage. Is it almost spring yet?
Old 01-11-2008 | 10:15 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LUCKe27
I feel so misunderstood. Doug thinks I was really concerned that vet was lost, instead of my obvious cry for attention by just starting a thread about something.
Lucke27, I understand you.

You'd rather see avatars of people you've never met than talk to your family.
You think chicks with grease under their fingernails are sexier than ones with nail polish
You believe an in depth discussion of valve adjustment is more intellectually stimulating than a presidential debate.
You'd rather spend an evening tweeking a torsion bar than at the bar.
You dream of buying a 930 steering wheel.

And, you know the best thing about owning a 911 is that there are other people who are just as stupid about them as you are
Old 01-11-2008 | 10:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Oshin11
I think I was giving her advice....I just think the backside method got me off track, .
.. I am sure she apreciates the humor

did anyone else find this funny or was it just me ?

stop now .. don't want to get into OT trouble .. a testy crowd this week.
Old 01-11-2008 | 11:44 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
.. I am sure she apreciates the humor

did anyone else find this funny or was it just me ?

stop now .. don't want to get into OT trouble .. a testy crowd this week.
y'all were very helpful in your instruction on how to properly lubricate the probe before inserting it into the opening to achieve the desirable tight fit....

... hey, OT people, I'm talking about a feeler gauge going between the rocker and the valve end. Geez.... you OT people are in the gutter. Here we are having a serious discussion with Oshin trying to convince me that valve adjustments done doggie style... uh, backside method... are superior to the standard method... and the OT police misinterpret that for something else. By the way, I am spanking the backside method, 'cause it did not work for me at all. I think there is way too much play in the rocker/cam interface and the weird contortions needed to get the feeler gauge in there seemed to introduce a lot of variability.

There. On topic.
Old 01-11-2008 | 11:57 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Default drive axle removal for CV boot repair

And, while I've got your attention... has anyone here removed their drive axle? I'm ready to take the bolts out of the CV flange. The CV boot is interfering with my hex socket (I'm not using a typical allen wrench, instead I'm using a socket with the hex wrench fitted into it... ok, I admit my ignorance... not sure what you call those types of sockets???). I can't get enough torque on an allen wrench. So I want to use my ratchet.

The boot is torn so it doesn't matter if I damage it. Has anyone else had an interference problem and been able to force the boot out of the way?

Also, my friend with a 964 C4 had to use the weight of the car to hold it while he broke the bolts on his FRONT differential/CV joint. That means I would need to leave my wheel hub on so I could remount my tire and drop the car. Anyone had to do this on a rear differential?

Or is it just another weird 964 thing?

Suggestions?

(and, Lucke27, this is my feeble attempt to call attention to my need for 911 companionship too)
Old 01-12-2008 | 12:00 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Did you manage to work around the cat on the bottom end ? I have heard that can be tricky , also did it take a bit of practice to get the technique down or were you able to get a good feel for how tight it should be right away ? ...

okay guys read into it what you want but these are serious questions !!
Old 01-12-2008 | 12:04 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Shannon

Yeah i did this one with little problem . The inner ones are easy as you take each wheel off and reach in with a few long extentions siting outside. I did what you did. and use a allen key bit on an extention the outer ones were a bit tricker as you have to climb under , do a couple and then turn the wheel. I found my parking brake gripped it well enough. I did oit with the whole back end in the air on axle stands. On the 964 there is no parking brake on the front so it is a PITA.
Old 01-12-2008 | 12:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

BTW these things back out after the job is done so recheck them after 1,000 then 3000 miles. Lots of stories of CVs coming apart after engine removal work. I checked and I had 2 that the rubber was keeping the bolt in and 3 were finger tight. real scary stuff...
Old 01-12-2008 | 12:33 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

watch for this when ucleaning and inspecting your cv joint. This was 170,000 km

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-12-2008 | 01:08 AM
amr89c4
Pro

Wink Take the boot off

Hey 911vet, I think you can just go ahead and cut the clamp off the boot and move the boot out of the way. You have to re-clamp the new boot later anyway. If the clamp is like the ones on a 964, they are of the Oeticker clamp variety, which requires a special pair of pliers to install them. If you want I can send you mine. The parts houses usually don't stock Oetickers, but the Porsche dealer will. As an alternative, I have heard of people using large plastic tie straps to retain the boots. Tightened properly, tie straps would probably work just fine. They might not have the longevity of a stainless Oeticker, though.

Also. go to the NAPA or other parts house and get yourself a tube of Super Met-Al Paint Marker in your favorite color and mark the bolt heads and flanges after you have torqued up your bolts. Then you can easily see if the bolts have migrated out any. My manuals indicate you apply Optimoly HT to the threads, but I would think it reasonable to use use any high temperature moly lube. Be sure you don't get any grease on either the differential or CV flange surfaces. You want them dry so the interface is a friction fit. If there is grease on the surface, it can cause the load to be distributed to the bolts, which WILL cause them to shear. My opinion is that I think that is what causes the bolts to fail, rather than improper torque.

Btw, I find your posts refreshing and stimulating. Your boyfriend is one lucky guy! Have fun!

amr89c4
Old 01-12-2008 | 01:11 AM
amr89c4
Pro

Default Oh yeah......

What do you mean "weird 964 thing"?

amr89c4

Quick Reply: Did 911vet go into her garage for a project and never come out ...