Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bad Rocker Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Rocker Arms?

So I got new adjustment screws because two of them had stripped. I was hoping this would fix the problem I was having. The problem was this...cylinders 2,3,4, and 6 have a nice perfect valve clearance. However, every time I crank my motor around with a 22mm socket by hand, cylinder 1 and 5 come out of spec. I'll readjust them, and then I will crank the motor one revolution and bam, they loosen just a bit again. Then the rocker for cylinder 5 ends up stripping the adjustment screw again, I think the threading for the rocker arm is just crap and keeps stripping the adjustment screw...should I buy two rocker arms? I really want to drive my car already but I dont want to close up the valves and then hear some really loud noises and have to open it up again . Any suggestions? Anyone ever have this problem?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I took that rocker arm back out and yup, its stripped at the very end of its play, I will probably buy 2 new rocker arms (1 extra just incase). I knew something was fishy, why does my car get all the weird problems but never the common ones found in these cars? haha.

BIG QUESTION!: When I took my rocker arm back out, I noticed new markings on it that were not there before, which makes me think I installed it incorrectly. Where the rocker arm was sitting there was a fresh grating or groove. Its hard to describe ill try taking a picture but it makes me think the rocker arm was grinding up against the shaft. Maybe this happened because there is like NO oil left in my car since its been draining for weeks and the rocker arm did not have enough lubrication on the shaft and damaged it? Should I buy a new shaft?
Old 01-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...05-043-00-M260

I think it's time to start begging forgiveness of the Porsche Gods and ask for help early in the process. I want so badly to stand over your sholder and see what is going on in there. would start fresh with new on new. the extra $22.00 to know you have a fresh surface that is in spec is cheep insurance and would help me sleep at night if it were me. I would also get some assembly lube for the new parts.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I have lube, the problem was the rocker arm itself Doug, I got it under a spotlight and saw some bad threading. I am going to take the rocker arm to the machine shop at the lab tomorrow and retap the threading to see if fixes it....that way I wont have to pay up to 150 dollars for two new rocker arms I like the fact that I get access to an insane machine shop, plus the professional machinists there always love to talk about my car with me, theyll be happy to spend 5 minutes retapping it for me.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess a good tap and die set would come in handy right about now. Lets hope you have enough meat left in there to clean. After having to use a Dremel to cut my cat off and destroying my O2 sensor I am really squemish about reusing parts that may not be perfect. I'd get ready for new rockers if it doesn't look perfect after you chase the threads.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:18 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

QUOTE: "I noticed new markings on it that were not there before,.."

One should always use assembly lube (generously) when assembling an engine, or in your case when replacing new parts. New rocker arm on OLD cam = new wear pattern forming. Coat the cam and rocker surfaces!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

I think Pete has talked about this very issue and the need for absolute cleanliness when doing rocker arms and shafts. It is amazing the damage a small amount of grime can do. I am sure if he misses this thread yo can PM him and he will comment.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mo_gearhead
QUOTE: "I noticed new markings on it that were not there before,.."

One should always use assembly lube (generously) when assembling an engine, or in your case when replacing new parts. New rocker arm on OLD cam = new wear pattern forming. Coat the cam and rocker surfaces!
It was not a new rocker arm, same old arm same old shaft...probably just a little bit of grime as iceman said. Its hard to be clean when the area is so gunky.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:01 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your adjustment screw is stripped, you might have a big problem.

Quick Reply: Bad Rocker Arms?