Easy Valve Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:16 PM
73-911E-Targa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smakuch
Here's the easy way to do valve adjust as told to me by Bruce Abbot;

The thread pitch is 1mm. Spray the adjuster with brake clean to remove the oil. Turn the adjuster to the valve, back off 1/4 turn and split the 1/4 while tightening. This would give you .12mm in a perfect world & the engine will run well & quiet. With the oil running on the parts you'll get .1mm with a dial guage.

It's quick & has worked fine for me..........no 8 hour valve adjust!!!!!

Steve
83SC
I know a mechanic that swears he can time a car "spot on" by sound. Maybe, but not on my car! After years of valve adjustments I'm pretty certain that the traditional method works pretty well! Plus, I'm just not confident that the mathematical method ("Turn the adjuster to the valve, back off 1/4 turn and split the 1/4 while tightening") would always be accurate after years of tightening and loosening the adjusters. Just my 2¢.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:04 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

All the methods mentioned in this thread work well. The one that Steve mentioned or was given advise on works great too, however... it may be better suited to those a little more familiar with valve adjustments, or better yet, peforming valve adjustments on these engines.

The gentleman who provided Steve with this method is a proficient and longtime engine builder/tuner.. and I'm sure he could probably perform the whole operation blind folded and by feel only. Well, it's kinda like your doing that anyway huh?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:18 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Wink

Originally Posted by MDL

I'm not trying to sound like a wise guy, but if one is going to try something as technical as adjusting the valves on a engine that is going to cost THOUSANDS if done incorrectly, please spend the $$$ and get yourself a Bentley's Manual or 101 Projects for your Porsche. That way you will be better equipped to understand .
I have 101 projects; however, having owned my 911 for about a month (and with the holidays), I haven't had much of a chance to read it. Believe me, I won't touch that engine unless I'm confident that I can do it. The Bentley is on my list of things to buy also.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:41 PM
dw1
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The original post (& clarification) describes a very good method for valve adjustment. It also happens to be one that I tried, but initially ran into the "visibility" problem - seeing relatively small adjustment screw rotation angles (1/4 & 1/8 turn) on some of the cylinders can be very difficult.

It took me awhile, but now I'm using a light & inspection mirror, along with a magnetic base for mounting the light & mirror at the correct angles, while doing the valve adjustment.

To be honest , I messed up several times in not remembering that everything in the mirror is reversed!

Overall, however, this seems to be working out well. Thanks Bruce Abbot, Steve & Brett.

Last edited by dw1; 01-05-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:47 PM
MDL
Racer

Originally Posted by LUCKe27
I have 101 projects; however, having owned my 911 for about a month (and with the holidays), I haven't had much of a chance to read it. Believe me, I won't touch that engine unless I'm confident that I can do it. The Bentley is on my list of things to buy also.

Excellent, you will find the Bentleys much more detailed than the 101 projects.

Quick Reply: Easy Valve Adjustment