Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Today was the first day of good weather since I picked up my 911 (picture time):

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007 | 09:46 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Great looking car Lucke! I'm still looking around for my "dream" one as the one in Chicago didn't pan out post-PPI. Glad you had a nice day to enjoy her a bit in the midst of winter! Spring will be incredible.. I know it was when I had my Targa.
Old 12-30-2007 | 11:25 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

You look cool with that hat. Beautiful car. I would get rid of the ET light though
Old 12-30-2007 | 11:53 AM
LUCKe27
Racer

Steen~ I think black interior is probably easier to find, but I'll keep my eyes open for you. You can also dye your seats from black to tan if the leather is in good condition (monster long thread on pelican details every step). My drivers seat will need some dye at some point. We just need to find that Atlanta person with the tricked out garage and go to work. I'm thinking of starting a thread on pelican in search of Atlanta folks to do projects with. I'll let you know.

flatsix, vet and justin~ thanks for the kind comments. When I went to pick up the car, I expected a 7/10 type interior for the price I was paying and was amazed at the condition of the interior, which is more like 8.5/10. Just when I thought the door panels couldn't look better, I was wiping down the car yesterday and they look like new now. Need to tackle that torn CV boot project pretty soon, but I want to do it with someone around that has more experience than I do. Then, tranny oil, first oil change, valve adjustment (this scares the crap out of me).

Doug~ You were a great source of encouragement during my search; so, thank you for that. Congrats on your wifes' new healthier lifestyle, too. You want her to be around for a long time. Someone has to help you play with all of those grandkids you're going to have someday .
Old 12-30-2007 | 11:58 AM
LUCKe27
Racer

murfysflaw~ I'll keep my eye out for you. Do you want another Targa?

zicoramone~ I've never really thought of taking off the ET light; lots of things I would like to do before that. I may try Euro taillights to see how I like them ... lots of folks really like that look.
Old 12-30-2007 | 12:05 PM
Steen
Instructor

hey luck... for me to do it right, I really need to change out most of the interior. It's not horrible, but I wouldn't say any of it would stay if I redo it.

Just had my valves adjusted but would like to watch/help when you tackle yours. Need to learn that part. I'll keep an eye out on Pelican for the thread.
Old 12-30-2007 | 01:31 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LUCKe27
Need to tackle that torn CV boot project pretty soon,
I started mine. It's my inner CV boot that's torn. You don't have to remove the axle to do it, but I had the "bright" idea that I should do both the inner and outer while I was at it.

It took 2 hours to get the axle nut off. Broke a cheater bar doing it. It was a bit of a nightmare. But it is off Next is the wheel, caliper, inner CV joint bolts...

I'll let you know how it goes. I don't think I have to replace the joint, just the boot. How about you?

Then, tranny oil, first oil change,
You might want to check out Lufteknic for your tranny oil. I got Mobil Delvac 75W-90 there. And I ended up with Swepco oil from Charles Navaro for the motor. Lots to choose from out there.

valve adjustment (this scares the crap out of me).
All I can tell you, as someone who has never been under a valve cover before or used a feeler gauge before, it was a challenge. But it was also a blast. I had a lot of fun doing it, thanks to you and everyone else here on Rennlist.

Get the tool from Pelican and get at LEAST one pack of replacement blades. I'd suggest more. Once the blade gets twisted, it becomes nearly useless. And it only takes a few valves before that can happen.

Don't get frustrated, be patient, and have fun with it. I did. Then again... I haven't actually started the engine to hear the results. I may be singing a different tune if it's ticking or smoking.

So don't be so scared. If a 5'3" 125lb girl from Ohio (no bigger than a hobbit) who has never opened a valve cover before can do it... you're gonna be fine

For now, forget about oils, valves, or dying the seats. Your car is a beauty. Drive it. Enjoy it.

You have a Porsche 911, dude! Life is good.
Old 12-30-2007 | 01:41 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

...Actually, I'm in East Cobb (120 & Johnson Ferry area); so, it wouldn't have been mine. I would love to get some Atlanta folks together for car projects...
Hey, you should join us on our run tomorrow thru Dahlonega and beyond..

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=399032&page=1
Old 12-30-2007 | 01:41 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

murfysflaw~ I'll keep my eye out for you. Do you want another Targa?
Targa or Cab... as long as it has some open air I'll be fine. It will be a weekend/nice day play car, so I want the top to come off. I've come across a few, but nothing has just grabbed me yet. The latest was a white 964 cab that's only a few hundred miles away. I'm really not actively looking, just browsing around and if the right one comes up, I'm certainly interested.

My previous Targa was black, and I certainly wish it had the interior yours has... that's beautiful.
Old 12-30-2007 | 05:11 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Looks great.

My 997 is the first tan interior I ever had.

My 987s Boxster was black and that would tend get get a bit warm.

You are going to glad you have that tan interior when the suns beating down on you.

Black and tan! My man!

Happy trails

Old 12-30-2007 | 05:31 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Great looking 911. Congrats.

Brett
Old 12-30-2007 | 06:11 PM
richri929
Advanced

i think you should lose the hat...imo
Old 12-30-2007 | 10:57 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Originally Posted by richri929
i think you should lose the hat...imo
LOL, the hat was a joke for my wife and girls; glad you liked it. I'm usually a baseball cap kind of guy.
Old 12-31-2007 | 10:29 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Congrats on your nice 911.

If you don't already own it, I recommend 101 Projects for You Porsche 911 by Wayne Dempsey. It's a good beginners guide to Porsche maintenance.
Old 12-31-2007 | 12:34 PM
MDL
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Hey, you should join us on our run tomorrow thru Dahlonega and beyond..

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=399032&page=1
That should be a blast. My boss has a place near Suchis right on "The Tail of the Dragon", Now I'm eating my heart out. Have fun... and don't even think of us flatlanders here in Fla while you out hanging curves on big hills amongst beautiful scenery.
Old 01-01-2008 | 04:45 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Looks fantastic- I like the deck lid emblem. Your car would look great with a 930s steering wheel- much better than the stock wheel, IMHO.

Cheers,

Paul.

Quick Reply: Today was the first day of good weather since I picked up my 911 (picture time):