Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Valve Adjustment---Two Quick Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:29 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have logged on and off today just watching to see if someones head was going to explode over all this valve talk. what may work is telling you it was a warm and sunny day and I BBQ'd steak and chicken breasts on the patio in my t-shirt, blue jeans, and sox. Merry Christmas
Old 12-23-2007, 11:45 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

I certainly wasn't going to explode, not even close. I rather found it interesting. I wasn't arguing or anything. Oshin's points are rather interesting and valid.

Originally Posted by douglas bray
I have logged on and off today just watching to see if someones head was going to explode over all this valve talk. what may work is telling you it was a warm and sunny day and I BBQ'd steak and chicken breasts on the patio in my t-shirt, blue jeans, and sox. Merry Christmas

Ya, I spend my day at work. It was raining, cold, windy, and miserable. Why couldn't it just have snowed. Snow is so much more happier than cold rain.

I am still envious of your house with all that crazy palm vegetation!
Old 12-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

tomarrow is cat bypass day so I'll do a you tube of the vegitation that happens to have a 911 by it. It is going to require a dremel to cut off the old bolts. bypass or not, the old bolts have to go. even my lower valve cover bolts look super bad, like they have never been off. I ordered new ones. good night
Old 12-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man you guys are really getting ridiculous, heat expanding coefficients? Porsche, I am sure, already thought about this. Bottom line is, a spec was given at .004. I have rarely seen a tolerance level that high (+/- .002 for a .004 spec). I am thinking it may be .0002 not .002. If the tolerance was that big people would never have problems with their valves if they used the backside method, and I have still seen accounts where people have problems with their valves afterwards. I will use my method and everyone else can use the regular backside method, I am just trying to solve the valve problem in my car.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I think you are right on the money. I also think we are over thinking the whole thing. It is more art than science. Yes, it needs to be right, but I bet guys that do this everyday get in and its wham bam thank you mam. and they are over and out. They listen to the car run warn and note how it sounds and where it sounds, let it cool, and hit it with the old trusty .004 fit to touch and move on.

EDIT: I was told I would be horrified if I listen to the cars first fire up at 911 design. "loose and loud"
Old 12-24-2007, 01:19 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did my first valve adjustment today. Will do the second one tomorrow!

The first valve took an hour. The last one 10 minutes.

What a learning curve!

Now that I've done my first valve adjustment, I have 3 issues:

1) my "elephant feet" stuck to the valve ends on every valve. Even after I backed the adjustment screw a full 360 turn, it was still tightly adhered to the valve until I grabbed it and pulled hard enough to break it free. It seemed to be a "suction" hydraulic adhesion. Does this indicate my e-feet are worn?

2) the completely subjective nature of whether I had it at 0.004" was a nightmare. I could handle the tight spaces, the laying on cold concrete, the blind cylinders... but it was frustrating trying to figure out if I had the right "feel." And now, after the job is complete and I have read all the various posts on the subject, I'm certain I have the valves too loose.

3) the backside method didn't work for me. It was harder than the traditional way. Though if I could actually trust it then maybe it would eliminate the subjective nature of "is it too tight/tight enough".

I think I'm going to do the whole job over before I seal it back up. But first, I have to order replacement feeler guage tips. Mine is a bit jabberwackied now.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. But I won't sleep for fear that my valves are going to tick and the other Porsche owners are going to laugh at me! So, off I go to Pelican to order some replacement feelers.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:29 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

And for those of you up too late...

... lubrication makes many things more enjoyable.... a touch of brute force on the 20-year-old helped... I busted the nut... and like a good girl scout, found I had a spare belt... I slipped it on... it was a tight fit... the shaft turned.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:30 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

for #1....mine were like that too, you have to wiggle it.
for #2....it is so difficult to get the feeler gauge in perfectly at the elephant foot, which is why there is so much error. I think the backside method, although not perfect, is more accurate by a factor of 5.
for #3....If you are having trouble ask questions...

Don't worry I adjusted my valves like 15 times already, no joke, and I am still not satisfied.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911vet
And for those of you up too late...

... lubrication makes many things more enjoyable.... a touch of brute force on the 20-year-old helped... I busted the nut... and like a good girl scout, found I had a spare belt... I slipped it on... it was a tight fit... the shaft turned.

This sounds so utterly wrong in so many ways, but so right at the same time.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Old 12-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

...to shannon, not oshin
Old 12-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I hate you
Old 12-24-2007, 01:40 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oshin11
for #1....mine were like that too, you have to wiggle it.
for #2....it is so difficult to get the feeler gauge in perfectly at the elephant foot, which is why there is so much error. I think the backside method, although not perfect, is more accurate by a factor of 5.
for #3....If you are having trouble ask questions...

Don't worry I adjusted my valves like 15 times already, no joke, and I am still not satisfied.
#1 OK, I feel better about my elephant feet now, thanks.

#2 Perhaps the reason the backside method didn't work for me is because I have the valves too loose.

#3 I understand the whole thing in principle. It's my first time with a feeler guage and I think maybe thought it should slide easier than it did. Also, I didn't have replacement blades. And after the 2nd cylinder, it was sort of contorted. That gave me an inconsistent feel.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:42 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oshin11
I hate you
Doug may not worship you from afar, but I do, Oshin.

You almost have me wanting to do a backside approach
Old 12-24-2007, 01:44 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911vet
Doug may not worship you from afar, but I do, Oshin.

You almost have me wanting to do a backside approach
Hahaha you can call me for help with a backside approach anytime. Ok but back to reality call me tomorrow and I'll talk you through it.

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment---Two Quick Questions