The Two Versions of M1 0w-40

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 03:40 PM
V6Passat
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Two Versions of M1 0w-40

Hello,

I don't use M1 or drive a Porsche (wish I did!) but I do have some of the same oil concerns with with my VW. I just started a thread at BITOG that you may be interested in if you live in the US and use M1 0w-40. There is an API SM/EC version that has the same specs as the older API SL version that's in Germany, but not here. You can read about it here.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 605 Posts

Your post on BITOG was worth posting here:

Turns out that there is an API SJ/SL/SM/EC/CF version that is sold in Germany, and possibly other parts of the world. Never heard of an API EC rating, anybody know what that is? This version states "Porsche Approved" on it, dated 9/2006 and has the same specs and viscosities as the older SL rated oil. See it here - http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-Eng...il_1_0W-40.pdf
The 2 big questions in my mind are, 1)Are Porsche owners in the US using an oil that they think is approved when it isn't, and does the current version really have the VW 503.01 rating that's not shown on the US PDS but is on the label?

Here is the current American version, dated 11/2006, that uses the vague terminology "Porsche Approval list 2002" (when it was an SL oil)-
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...il_1_0W-40.asp
You bring up some good points. I have commented before that I find it odd that the label says Porsche Approval list 2002, back when it was clearly a different product with an SL rating AND that Mobil hasn't gone through the recertification and testing process Porsche has laid out either dictated by time (reapproval every three years) OR when there is a formulation change. For whatever reason, this has not happened... I'll speculate it has to do with $$$.

A letter was drafted to Porsche AG (in German) asking about this, among other questions earlier this year, and the response was a nicely formatted canned letter full of fluff. I didn't get a copy of the response letter, but it was read to me verbatem.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:25 PM
V6Passat
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charles, what's really strange is that I posted a link to the Mobil-Germany website late last night on BITOG, and by 8 this morning they replaced all the specs on the German site with the US specs. I felt like an idiot when I was told it was the same stuff as what's in the US and I was shocked it got changed so fast! Seems like a cover-up to me!

I think the OEM's, like VW, are covering for Mobil. Take a look at the recent list for 502 approved oils. It lists M1 0w-40 and 5w-40 multiple times, like the person that made the list was drunk! What I think they did however, is remove any specific names from the list to make it genaric. The 0w-40 in the US is called the "European Formula" (although it's not), and in Germany it's called the "Protection Formula". By removing those world-wide names, nobody knows which oils pass 502 and which do not.

I would assume the M1 5w-40 was Delvac -1 or the T&SUV, but when I tried the T&SUV in my 2.8 for 3K miles, it had sheared out of spec. So now I'm also guessing that there is a European 5w-40 as well...
Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or you could use this.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/afl.aspx

Ken

Quick Reply: The Two Versions of M1 0w-40