Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Get stuck in...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:46 PM
red67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get stuck in...

I'm not what you would classify 'mechanical minded', quite the opposite.
but a good friend recently encouraged me to start attempting more jobs on my cars. so today i played truant from work and installed a new bursch muffler.
it was so much fun and i learned so much and feel happy, destressed from work and maybe quite proud of myself even though its an idiotically simple job for most people.

So this is just a post to encourage other willing amateurs to get stuck in and enjoy the process of learning. It's great fun!!

with the help of the rennlist board and a few good books it really helps and gives you a great feeling when you actually accomplish something, even if it's a small thing. maybe i did thing's wrong but it was great to try it and i feel so happy and want to try more things.

(the bursch is not strictly purchase-order original from porsche back then, purists may slap my wrists but it's my car and i really love the sound of bursch's on early cars and it makes me happy)

heres the silly little fun project that made me smile... it's a start! i think its sounds ace!
ps: the twin air filters in the pics - i forgot to bring the gaskets to the garage (only realised after taking off the original single air filter housing) so the standard air filter housing is back in for now - The twin K&N top's were just preventing stuff from getting in the carbs for the installation. thats my next little project - the air filters. can't wait!!)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ul-j52RnFdE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZYecnrpgA7A

Old 12-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

GOOD JOB, I have a cat bypass in the shed begging me to get to it. I've gotta do the back box and the crossover pipe too. (Tonight it's swaybar mounts)

I love the Volkswagen that snuck into the picture. Every picture you post has something interesting in it. In one of your original post there was a billboard on a building with a wabsite that was lots of fun to surf around.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:21 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Is removing the bumper / back panel something you have to do on the early cars? I didn't have to touch anything but the muffler itself when I removed it & went to the Bursch, & then to the bypass, & then to the M&K, & back to the bypass, & back to the M&K...

Looks nice. I found the Bursch too quiet for me, personally.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:34 PM
red67
Racer

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Is removing the bumper / back panel something you have to do on the early cars? I didn't have to touch anything but the muffler itself when I removed it & went to the Bursch, & then to the bypass, & then to the M&K, & back to the bypass, & back to the M&K...

Looks nice. I found the Bursch too quiet for me, personally.
i'm not sure. it was probably the wrong way to do it actually, but without doing it it was really hard for me to see what i was doing. the old muffler seemed too deep to unscrew it and pull it down - (the longhood back panel has a lip that looked like it would prevent it dropping out easily) and the new bursch is mm's away - a really snug fit.
i don't know, but now i do know about overrider installation so it wasnt a total loss. i like the bursch sound, it's different, it sounds kinda gangster retro 60's. only way i can describe it. its deeper and bassier and 'gurgilier' than the youtubes suggest but i guess it's a taste thing. friedns have gone the dansk route, but i like this. it was fun anyway and brought a lot of smiles on hearing it on the first turnover.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Great Job and it is a ton of of fun . Don't worry about over doing it either, first you get good , then you get fast .. great job.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:34 PM
red67
Racer

many thanks iceman. i loved it. looking forward to the future
while we're on the future topic, when i do fit the K&N airfilters, the now superficial hoses - does anyone know what happens with them? instructions say 'plug' the heat hose?...
Old 12-06-2007, 09:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

theu look like some type of crancase breather hoses. I have never been fortunate enough to see this area on my car .. But you do have some oil weeping out and would suggest replacing those two gaskets while in the area.

Quick Reply: Get stuck in...