Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fuse by-pass modification

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:25 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Question Fuse by-pass modification

I am getting ready to replace my melted relays and the fuse board and have a question of why a bypass blade fuse was added by the previous owner.

The 25 amp ceramic fuse for the fuel pump is not installed and the wire is not connected to the top of the fuel pump fuse.

However, there is a wire connected to the bottom of the fuse pump fuse terminal connected to a 25 amp blade fuse and then goes to the top of the hazard light fuse terminal. (it is now a melted glob )

Looking at the diagram in the Bentley, the hazard and fuse pump fuse terminal share the same red power wire.

Any thought on why this modification was done and I'm wondering if the circuit overheated as a result of the fuel pump seizing and then turning on the hazards?

I have a new 10 terminal fuse block on order.

Thanks !

John
Old 12-06-2007, 12:33 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

As a result of the HEATING from thehigh inrush surge currents the fuel pump fuse holder will often lose it "springiness" and therefore not make good contact with the inserted fuse. That results, of course, in the fuel pump not always being fully functional and so some previous owner has bypassed the fuse and holder altogether.

And yes, more likely than otherwise that caused your meltdown.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:38 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Wwest,

So you think turning on the hazards actually caused additional damage because of the way it was wired?

I've seen someone else bypass the ceramic fuse on a 930 by connecting a jumper from the top to the bottom of the fuel pump fuse terminal.

John
Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I am reading your post correctly, the PO may have installed the blade type disconnect to the fuel pump as a simple theft deterrent. Parking car for a few days somewhere (open trunk, open switch ...no fuel pump). Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Fuse by-pass modification