Door stop pin install

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 03:32 PM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door stop pin install

My door stop was worn out on the driver side. It would let the door just swing wide open with any detents.

I removed the door panel, removed the old stop and installed the door side of the door stop. I went to install the the pin which attaches the door side of the stop to the bracket mounted at the body. I tried tapping it in with a hammer but it didn't seat all the way in (enough to install the clip on the bottom side). I'm afraid of pounding on it too hard with the hammer (and breaking/bending the chassis side of the door stop).

Any suggestions?

Jon
Old 12-05-2007, 03:40 PM
drew3007
Track Day

You actually have to give it a pretty good whopping. It has been a while since I did one but if I recall, the pin is toothed. If that is the case, just see if you can get the teeth seated in their grooves without whopping, then just give a firm smack and it should go in.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:44 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

I used the old pin. No issues what soever. Wacking it may damage the paint around the door frame if you are not carefull.

PS I think the factory one had no detents. Only the aftermarket. check the metalwork around where it ataches while you ar ein their. It is actually the perect time for the door re-enforcemnt kit. I highly recomend it , I put them on mine and was so glad I did.
The new door stops will be REALLY stiff and I even thought I was going to fracture my door , but it was way better after about a month. While they are really stiff the metal in your dooe will take the strain. Mine was actually torn on their so added the re-enforcement. if the tear gets real bad it is new door time ( excellent article in 101 projects about it ) .
Old 12-06-2007, 01:51 PM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info guys.

Theiceman,

Does the door re-enforcment kit, re-enforce the part of the door stop that is attached to the door? Or does it re-enforce the braket (with hole for pin)attached to the body?

BTW, it looks like my door stop bracket that is attached to the body has already been welded and painted.

Jon
Old 12-06-2007, 06:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Jon

it is 2 plates that reinforce the actual door. you put one on the inside and one on the outside. There is not much to reinforce the pin pivot outside of welding I would think . I had to get a dental mirror to inspect the damage on my door .. I may have a pic just to show for others who might want to inspect... the blue stuff was gease I sprayed in because I did not realize the creaking sound was busted metal.

since been fixed nice though.

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Iceman, I have the new parts but haven't done the job. I open the doors very slowly. Does the new stop mechanism provide a slow opening and a cushioned stop?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:38 PM
ago 85 carrera
Track Day

I don't know what most people find when they remove their old door stop but I found my stop to be totally fine so I cleaned it, regreased, and reused it. The bracket inside my door looked similar to Iceman's but only torn on the top bolt hole. The reinforcement eliminated the "popping" of the sheet metal and gave peace of mind that the torn bracket would get no worse. The replacement stop will go back to Pelican -- no doubt I'll spend the refund on something else.

Work through the door speaker hole as the reinforcement instructions advise and the job will take less than an hour. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I ended up putting new stops in . Doug the new door stop provided detents the original didn't. I don't think the original had a mid way detent and a full opening. Whether it is a cusion at full opening I don't know , but I would dare to say yea , ever so slightly. I sure wouldn't be pushing the door open and letting go like those 300lb people that sometimes park in the wallmart handicap because there not in good enough shape to walk 30 feet.

Quick Reply: Door stop pin install