Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Rear Center PORSCHE Panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:07 PM
PeterRT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i didn't think Porsche put any lights behind the centre panel , it was always just a reflector, I know in the early years the PORSCHE was in back and in the mid 80s they went to clear. Pete would know for sure about the lights.
Euro cars have two fog lamps integrated into the reflector panel from MY '87 on...
Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
is the "pimp my Porsche" sticker included ?
I want a sticker that says "Full illumination, maximum impact!" just like that add. If you are going to do something stupid, might as well go all out.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No lights on my '82, but I remember something about rear fog lamps, that fit under the outboard positions, for certain countries. I've never seen a '74-86 reflector with lights, so the change may have been in '87??? (Earlier RoW models had a rear fog lamp mounted on the rear valance, under the bumper next to the exhaust pipe tip.)
Old 12-06-2007, 08:37 PM
OttawaDave
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

In the late 80's, the Euro Carreras had rear fog lights integrated into the reflector bar. Just to the inside of the reflectors, but outside the smaller, clear Porsche script.

During my search for my 911, I looked at an 87 Euro car with those lights and really liked it - the tail lights on these cars are pretty weak in rain/road spray, so anything to help visibility is a good thing. The fog light switch activates the rear fogs when you rotate it.

Pretty sure it was only on the Euro spec cars.

Dave

edit: just saw PeterRT's post.....what he said.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:41 PM
OttawaDave
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a pic of the car I looked at last spring with the rear fogs. I think I've seen posts of guys modding their rear panel to accept the Euro fogs. Required some cutting of the steel behind the plate if I recall. Might have seen that on Pelican. It's a good look though in my opinion.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Post Lights in center panel

My Son was still having problems with his camera and computer connection, but he was able to get me a couple of the pictures. They are not as good as I would have liked them to be. The center panel has 7 tail/brake lights behind it. The first photo is just the taillights, the second one is taillights and brake lights. Hopefully I will be able to get the other photos that are higher quality and clearer.
Attached Images   
Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

wow that is BRIGHT ....
Old 12-07-2007, 09:37 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

I am going to try to get the rest of the pics he took. These are not the clearest ones. i think he had the flash turned off for these two posted, and it distorts the way it actually looks. The top, is just taillights, the lower, is taillights and brake lights.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:29 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Aftermarket methinks. Never seen this before.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:47 AM
nyne11
Rennlist Member

Default My PPI says rear fog lights don't work!

My carrera is eurospec and one of the points on the PPI was that the rear fog lights didn't work. OE there is a place for them in the rear reflector however they had been removed...probably for Australian compliance. The switch still remains on the dashboard however.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2007, 10:25 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by nyne11
The switch still remains on the dashboard however.
Good place for a kill switch.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:41 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Cool Better Pictures of Rear Center Panel Lights

Some updated pics. The first one the camera was not still, and on both of them, the flash was off and the exposure was way off, making the lights look washed out instead of being red, they are red, just like the typical brake lights, not the yellow/orange color. The lights actually highlighted themselves too much. But you can see that there is a lot better tail/brake light, instead of being dark in the middle of the rear end. I have had this car for about 10 years now, and the only thing I have had to do to that panel area, was to replace a couple of burnt out bulbs. I thought all of the 911 cars were like this, but now I am seeing that this was not the case. If I remember correctly, they use 1157 bulbs, just like the typical tail/brake light bulbs. The first pic is just taillights, the second is tail with brake lights. I am still going to get better pictures to post.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Rear Center PORSCHE Panel