Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My 1983 cabriolet reflector delete project

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My 1983 cabriolet reflector delete project

Well, here we go again... I got into work early today and cutout to size some the mesh that some guys on Pelican had ordered for the decklid grille replacements. Big THANK YOU to MARK ROGERS, who was nice enough to share his scrap for my little experimet. Thank Mark, I owe you...

So, at lunch today, I carefully and agonizingly (is this a word?) removed my reflector from the car. Man, this was touch to do from a mental standpoint. As you can see below, the platic pieces that mount the reflector to the body are glued on, and mine already had one loose for some reason, in the process of prying this loose, the other 2 middle ones came loose as well, but finall the reflector was off...

Next, I got my mesh piece out and carefully (lots of sharp edges that could easily scratch paint!) positioned it in place to take some pics. This is where I am at now. I plan on making a "picture" frame for it out of Al that will lay on top of the mesh to secure it in place. It will be probably 1/2-1" wide on the edges of the frame. I also want to cut square holes in this panel behind the reflector, like this beautiful car:

Opinions are welcome, as nothing is final and set in stone yet here. And don't worry about hurting my feelings... I'm like a duck of sorts... I would rather have honest opinions to help me think about this some more. Here are the pics...

Last edited by v8_ranch; 02-19-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why? I could see it if it served a purpose that Porsche hadn't thought of, like more air to the engine for cooling or a rear oil cooler. I want to see someone add lights to the reflector so the aholes that ride my *** can see me at night. That would be a cool mod. Keep up the good work, you are getting closer to world domination...
Old 11-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

Since you can see the attachment points what is the point of this?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:52 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Why not? I needed to restore my reflector anyway, and after getting it off, I see that it really does need to be restored and cleaned up. I had one of the plastic keepers that had already separated from the reflector at the glue joint.

Like I said in the orginal post, I really like the look of the white car without the reflector. I am thinking seriously about doing the same to mine, but with the "R" mesh installed over it.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use your old reflector as a plug and make a mould of it.
Then lay one up in Carbpn fiber. A little UV clear and you have a nice filler piece.

BTW, Black carbon piece would look good with the other black trim /badge etc
Old 12-01-2007, 05:35 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like something fell of your car. The holes look pretty rough, and the indentation shows that something is clearly missing there. My thought would be you had an accident.

I would do what pyschoideas (new name, same pic? ) said...carbon fiber...might look cool.

By the way, manufacture one in CF and post pics, and everyone and their uncle will want one for their 78-89...might be a good side biz
Old 12-01-2007, 01:12 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bray, your center panel does not have lights in it????
Old 12-01-2007, 05:35 PM
craiglwakefield
Advanced

The white porsche has a number of mods that all together give it a very cool look. If you mod the reflector area that will just be the beginning
Old 12-01-2007, 10:09 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
I would do what pyschoideas (new name, same pic? ) said...carbon fiber...might look cool.

No, same name and pic since I joined up
Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

3.2slant, no ????
Old 12-01-2007, 10:32 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Well, I showed everyone on our drive today. I am not completely sold on it, and have not ever been really, just playing around. But I have been toying with another similar idea. I ned to repair my reflector glue joints anyway. Well, I am thinking about stripping off the factory paint on the backside. Then, mask off the now clear/red porsche letters (not sure what they will be when black paint is removed, anyone know... Next, I will paint the back of the reflector either black or dark charcoal color, to try to black it out. Anyone out there ever tried this? Any pics? I have been reading old threads on various boards, and at this point feel confident that the reflector could again be restored to a "factory" finish (looks wise anyway) by restripping the black/charcoal off and applying the silver, black on letters, and then grey primer on all. Just thinking outloud, please tell me if I am on a slippery slope. I do not wish to destroy a basically good black letter reflector in this process.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:03 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Douglas, I sent you a PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

I would not get one and I have a 78 . i think one of the coolest things when coming up behind that year of car was the black Porsche across the reflector, I think one of the biggest mistakes was making it clear in later years..

Quick Reply: My 1983 cabriolet reflector delete project