Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just got home from driving the '88 Targa and definitely need some advice ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just got home from driving the '88 Targa and definitely need some advice ...

For those that didn't see the other thread, the car has 37k miles on it. The guy, who was very nice, is the original owner -- a dentist who basically doesn't drive the car much. The paint is pretty much perfect. He says his wife brushed a fence once and some scratches in that right front fender were re-painted. I couldn't tell any difference in the paint in the lighting we had (dusk). The interior seats and dash are in excellent shape. The only wear I could see on the car was the drivers side carpet where the clutch would be engaged regularly --- no big deal. I've never driven a car, but it does have a bit more headroom, which I had heard from others. Pete Z was kind enough to give me some things to check for in a PPI, specific to low mileage cars; so, I could schedule an inspection. It wouldn't surprise me if the transmission on the Targa needed a bit of work, but it wasn't bad to drive (I'm definitely no expert). Very nice car that will probably hold its value extremely well ... BUT ...

I already have an inspection scheduled for Friday on the '89 cab, which is 800 miles away from me and listed for basically the same price. So, I need to decide whether to postpone the inspection on the cab while I try to work this Targa deal further. I would hate to blow the $250+ for PPI & leak-down just to decide to go with the Targa instead. So, basically the same price, except I have to either ship or fly up to drive the cab home. The cab has 67k miles. I'm just thinking (typing) out loud. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

cabs typically go for more money than the targas. 89 will have 8" rears and the clutch fork update at the factory.

The down side on the cab is that by 1989 most of them were electric tops and to fix them is big $$

Tough decision - cab or targa? Blond or Brunette?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Wink

Originally Posted by g-50cab
cabs typically go for more money than the targas. 89 will have 8" rears and the clutch fork update at the factory.

The down side on the cab is that by 1989 most of them were electric tops and to fix them is big $$

Tough decision - cab or targa? Blond or Brunette?
I must say that I don't really understand the electric top issue. If it wasn't working, couldn't you just use the top manually (or do you have to convert it somehow to manual or is this not possible)? I actually go for tall Brunettes myself (married the best one). Does that help .
Old 11-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Targa. sounds like a great find. A definite plus in my book to be buying from the original owner and near to home. also, IMHO a Targa is so much nicer to drive then a Cab and looks so much better too

I am sure someone will correct me but I recall reading that the Targa was very expensive to make becasue it is on it;s own platform where the cab is just a cut down coupe.

Did you drive the cab? Very big difference between the two..
Old 11-28-2007, 10:11 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

redhead? Perhaps that is why I have a car with lipstick red interior.

No on can really overly help your decision. All I can say is don't let $250 in a PPI or a $150 flight drive your decision on a 20K car. You have probably blown more money at a bar in a single night before. Are you cab man or a targa man?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Originally Posted by old man neri
redhead? Perhaps that is why I have a car with lipstick red interior.

No on can really overly help your decision. All I can say is don't let $250 in a PPI or a $150 flight drive your decision on a 20K car. You have probably blown more money at a bar in a single night before. Are you cab man or a targa man?
I don't think it would be that difficult to "delay" the cab PPI, as the guy is traveling all next week. The Targa seems like a great oppty to get a very low mileage car at a great price -- assuming its PPI checked out. If I buy the Targa, I imagine I'll be a Targa man and vice versa. Both great cars.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Jaws911
Pro

<If I buy the Targa, I imagine I'll be a Targa man and vice versa. Both great cars.>

sounds about right - talking to folks and posts here have left me w/ the feeling that the Targa is less of an "open , top down experience" - but if you want to do DE's, (and you do!) , then the Targa is ready to go - no rollbar needed.

and, BTW, I love my '86 cab....
Old 11-28-2007, 11:30 PM
nyne11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luus
Go with the Targa. sounds like a great find. A definite plus in my book to be buying from the original owner and near to home. also, IMHO a Targa is so much nicer to drive then a Cab and looks so much better too

I am sure someone will correct me but I recall reading that the Targa was very expensive to make becasue it is on it;s own platform where the cab is just a cut down coupe.

Did you drive the cab? Very big difference between the two..
Luus,
I believe it is the other way around! Correct me if I am wrong but the Cab is a cut down Targa not a Coupe as the Targa already had the body strengthening and stiffness required for the Cab. Porsche put out a factory conversion kit from Targa to Cab for this reason
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

cab made from targa +1

I've had both and doubt you could tell the difference. Both great cars - comes down to personal preference.

if you make a cab top manual - no biggy - just check it out
Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Gotta echo NeriMan. Consider some of these costs to be necessary educational investment. I'd seriously consider getting PPI's on both cars, drive both, and then make your decision.

These are modern times, after all. You can date both the blond and the brunette, taking each for a test ride before deciding who's to be your regular. No obligation to act like there's any commitment before it's actually uttered from your lips.

Brent
Old 11-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dave, I believe a friend of ours was looking everywhere for that book. From what I can see the cars are very modular. the tub for the cab and targa are identical. the only differance is that the targa has an extra loop of steel welded on top and the cab gets the mechanics for the top. that's it. the lower tub gets additional steel to stiffen it up. I have found now that it is cooling off here in California that driving with the top up really restricts the view out the right side of the vehicle. It is a big black void that I can't see. I have a bunch of head room, but I'm not real confident in changing lanes. The targa looks to not have the same problem. I would look at the targa. It is a very different shape than the coupe and cab. I don't know what you do with the targa top when you want to go topless, but it cant be too hard to figure out. This has been fun.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:11 AM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

cabrio, targa........I drive a coupe - and LOVE them all! spend the time, drive them, get them inspected...........you may end up spending a few extra bucks - but in the end you'll have a very cool car. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Luus
Pro

The targa top folds for easy storage in the bonnet. Truly **** Targa people have a spare top for this purpose so as not to crease the "main" top Agreed, more visibility in the Targa than the cab and I think the Targa is quieter.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 AM
nyne11
Rennlist Member

Default Doug, I have the book in .Jpg format if needed?

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Dave, I believe a friend of ours was looking everywhere for that book. From what I can see the cars are very modular. the tub for the cab and targa are identical. the only differance is that the targa has an extra loop of steel welded on top and the cab gets the mechanics for the top. that's it. the lower tub gets additional steel to stiffen it up. I have found now that it is cooling off here in California that driving with the top up really restricts the view out the right side of the vehicle. It is a big black void that I can't see. I have a bunch of head room, but I'm not real confident in changing lanes. The targa looks to not have the same problem. I would look at the targa. It is a very different shape than the coupe and cab. I don't know what you do with the targa top when you want to go topless, but it cant be too hard to figure out. This has been fun.
Let me know. I can Zip it and mail it if you like.
Cheers.
Dave.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:51 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Actually my Cabriolet is quieter than my targa was -

Quick Reply: Just got home from driving the '88 Targa and definitely need some advice ...